1909-1985 | Naissance: | Arrestation: | Résidence:


Für unsere deutschsprachigen Leser*innen: Der Text ist unterhalb der französischen Version auch auf deutsch verfügbar.


Family background and personal life:

Anna (also known as Anni or Anne) Sussmann was born on October 8, 1909 in Vienna, Austria. Her maiden name was Goldscheider. Her parents were Camilla Heller and Emmanuel Goldscheider and they were Jewish. She had a brother, Paul Goldscheider, who was deported in September 1942.

Before she fled Austria for France on 9 June 1937, Anna was working as a nurse. Soon after she arrived Paris, on 4 November 1937, in the town hall of the 19th district of Paris, she married Heinrich (Henri, Heinrick) Sussmann, an Austrian painter and illustrator[1].

Henri Sussman and Anne Goldscheider’s marriage certificate dated 4 November 1937, from the town hall of the 19th district of Paris – Paris Departmental Archives.


From 1938 to 1941, they lived together at 8 place du Danube in Paris. In order to support themselves financially, Heinrich sold some paintings and Anna sold jewelry and carpets[2].

Their life in the Resistance:

In May 1941, Anna and Heinrich joined the anti-Nazi Resistance movement in Marseille. At the time, Marseille was in the free zone in the southern half of France, which was not occupied by the Germans[3]. There they got to know a man known as “Emile”, who provided them with forged identity papers in the name of Solvat. A year later, in 1942, they were sent to Paris, which was in the occupied zone, to work as liaison operatives (in particular between a woman and a man known as Ullmann). Anna later admitted that she took part in this work until June 1943. She and her husband were also involved in resistance operations against the German army (defeatist propaganda, leaflet distribution, etc.).

On December 1, 1943, they joined the F.F.I. (Forces Françaises de l’Intérieur or French Forces of the Interior)[4]. Anna regularly met other members of the group in secret, mainly in the Rue de Rivoli. She and Heinrich were nicknamed “the Rivoli woman” and “the Rivoli man”. They used several false names, such as Selby, Sebastien and Beranger, which were also passed on to them by “Emile”. However, since 1943, the Gestapo and the Special Brigade had been following Anna and Heinrich, although they lost track of the couple in November of the same year.

The arrest:


The arrest, by Ka Schmitz, Mai 2023

After a lengthy search and surveillance operation, the police tracked down Anna and Heinrich. They were eventually arrested on 1 June 1944, when they were staying at 43 rue Truffaut in Paris, as members of the M.O.I. (Main d’Oeuvre Immigrée, or Immigrant Labour Force)[5] (a Communist network that included the Manouchian group (a collective of Armenian, Jewish, Polish and other saboteurs responsible for a number of attacks).

During their interrogation, they initially denied any involvement in the resistance movement. However, when Heinrich was tortured in front of Anna, they admitted the charges and confessed that they had met members of the Communist Party (such as Hoffmann, Strobel and Hagmüller).

The couple was then separated and sent to Auschwitz after further interrogation by the Gestapo. Anna was interned in several places before she was finally deported[6] :

  • From June 1 through 6, 1944: she was detained and interrogated.
  • From June 6 to July 31, 1944: she was first imprisoned in Fresnes jail, where she got to Lilli Auchman, then the two of them were transferred to Drancy camp.
  • On July 31, 1944: the two women were deported to the Auschwitz camp on Convoy n°77.


Her arrival in Auschwitz:

Anna arrived at the camp on 4 August 1944 and remained there until October 1944. She was pregnant at the time, and a fellow inmate advised her to conceal her pregnancy to avoid being sent to her death in the gas chambers. Anna therefore entered the camp, where she became an important figure in the eyes of the other inmates, because she brought with her news from the outside world. She told them, for example, that the Red Army was stationed not far from the camp when she arrived, and that she continued to believe that the Soviet Union would liberate the camp. On the other hand, when the other prisoners told her about the gas chambers and the crematorium, Anna could hardly believe it. She tried as hard as she could not to think about the atrocities that were taking place in the camp[ 7].

On August 20, Anna said that she was in pain, so the senior nurse from the operating theatre sent her to lie down on some stale bread next to an oven, although this was not allowed. Anna remembered that she had once visited a delivery room in the Brigitta Hospital in Vienna, so she knew what to do when she gave birth. A few hours later, her baby was born. A fellow inmate told her that it was a boy, very much alive. Anna named him Samuel Georg Sussmann. However, Josef Mengele (a notorious SS doctor who carried out barbaric experiments on prisoners during the Second World War) came into the ward, saw the baby, snatched him from his mother and threw him into the oven before her very eyes.

“He took the child and threw him into the blazing oven”, drawing by Andrea Jernej, Mai 2023.
Quote from Anna Sussmann in the interview with Anna & Heinrich Sussmann in the Ö1 newspaper dated 09.02.1985

A Hungarian inmate, who was also a doctor, suggested that Anna go to the infirmary, but also warned her that selections (which involved sorting and eliminating people who were not fit for work) took place regularly. A short time later, Anna was indeed selected and was sent to the showers, with no idea of what would come out of the pipes: “We didn’t know whether it was going to be water or gas”. In the end, it turned out to be water. The selected prisoners were then loaded into cattle cars and assigned to work on roads two days later. At this point, based on the road signs, Anna supposed that she was in the Sudetenland.

Later on, on the night of October 28 1944, Anna and some other prisoners were taken to a weapons factory in Weiskirchen-Kratzau. All the while, the local women shouted at the SS: “You sons of bitches, who will have to pay for your crimes but us?”, as they threw apples or hunks of bread over to the prisoners[8].

Escape from the factory in Kratzau: [9]

On 20 November 1944, the Kratzau camp was reorganized. To avoid it being bombed, all the lights were switched off at night. Anna and two of her fellow prisoners, the German Lilli Segal and a Dutch woman, grasped the opportunity to escape by taking advantage of the confusion and the darkness.


The escape, drawing by Ka Schmitz, May 2023
“Let’s get out of here!”

The Dutch woman was the only one who was recaptured, beaten and died the next day”. Anna and Lilli Segal succeeded in escaping from the camp under cover of night and made their way first to a village, in the hope that a Catholic priest would take them in or keep them hidden. However, the priest they found recognized them immediately as prisoners of war and refused to take them in for fear of repercussions. They therefore carried on walking, despite being hungry and Anna’s shoes having holes in them, which made running away more difficult. They kept going until they heard the voices of some French men near the town of Zittau. They spoke to the men, who said they were prisoners of war. They hid the two women for three days. When they left, the men gave them some clothes that a local peasant woman had brought for them. Anna and Lilli Segal then made their way across Dresden with the help of some Protestant women who considered Hitler to be the antichrist, and gave the fugitives food. They then headed through Munich and eventually arrived in Switzerland on 3 December 1944, by going around Lake Constance. They then explained all about what was happening in Auschwitz and arranged for some Red Cross parcels to be sent to the prisoners who were still there.

Anna left Switzerland on March 4, 1945 and was repatriated to France on June 15. She initially stayed at the Hotel Lutecia, which was at the time being used as a holding center for immigrants.

Map of Anna Sussmann and Lilli Segal’s escape route, drawn in 1991

Heinrich’s story:

Heinrich arrived at Auschwitz camp n°1 on August 4, 1944. He was placed in block n°18, where he met Herman Langbein, a Nazi hunter. Heinrich remained in the same block until the Russian army liberated the camp on January 27, 1945. One day, during his time there, Heinrich was selected to be sent to the gas chambers and killed. However, the camp needed artists and Heinrich was one of the only six graphic artists to be selected. They were therefore told to get dressed and were relieved to be allowed to live.

On January 18, 1945, as the Russian soldiers were approaching, the Germans decided to evacuate and destroy the camp. Any prisoners who were deemed to be too weak were shot on the spot, and 80% of them died. On January 27, 1945, they heard shouting coming from outside, and thought the camp was about to be destroyed. Heinrich, who weighed only 84 pounds at the time, managed to get up and climb out through a small window. Once outside, he was met by three Red Army soldiers and he cried as they took him in arms[11]. He was eventually repatriated to Marseille on May 10, 1945, having travelled via Odessa[12].


Return to Vienna:  

When it was all over, Anna and Heinrich finally got back together and moved back to Austria, where they lived at 107 Sieveringerstraße in Vienna. Anna left the Communist Party once she was back in her homeland.

Heinrich Sussmann later told the tale of how they were greeted in Vienna: “When we returned to Vienna in 1945 […], we went one day to the house where my parents had lived. We were met by the doorkeeper, who said: “Jesus, the Jews are back already![13]

The battle for compensation and recognition:

In order to qualify for the status of deported resistance fighters, Anna and Heinrich had to provide evidence of their involvement in the resistance movement (testimonials and proof of residence in France at the time).


Anna’s deported resistance fighter card, n°209933789

René Camphin (former colonel in the F.F.I.) testified that Anna Sussmann joined the French Interior Forces as a volunteer on December 1, 1945.

Similarly, Laurence Belet ( a librarian with the French National Library and French Resistance medal holder) and Helene Fuhlrich also testified that the couple lived in hiding under false names before they were arrested and persecuted by the Gestapo. “They had to endure appalling living conditions”[14]. Finally, on September 28, 1962, the French National Commission approved Anna’s request and she was awarded the title of “Deported Resistance fighter”.


René Camphin’s statement dated October 19,1945

On May 22, 1963, Anna Sussmann became eligible for a military invalidity pension on account of her medical problems (asthenic syndrome, among others), which caused her to suffer from physical and mental fatigue, sleep disorders, etc. Most of these were contracted during her deportation, but were not diagnosed until 1963.


Description of disabilities entitling Anna to a military invalidity or victim of war pension, dossier 01-75 138.614 / F3

Anna was issued a veteran’s card valid from June 20, 1963 to June 19, 1968. It entitled her to assistance from the French National Office for Veterans and Victims of War.[15].

On September 16, 1971, Anna received a disabled person’s card valid until September 15, 1976. She then received a second card valid until July 12, 1981, and finally a third valid from July 3, 1981 to July 2, 1986. This card entitled her to a 75% discount on French national railway (SNCF) train tickets.


Anna Sussmann’s disabled person’s card, n°721905

In 1972, Anna was listed as a witness at the trial of Josef Mengele. However, as being called as a witness had already caused her to suffer a nervous breakdown and worsened her health, which was due to her time spent in the concentration camps, she did not appear in person.


Letter from Anna Sussmann’s lawyer to the Vienna Criminal Court stating that Anna would not appear in person for health reasons.

Anna Sussmann died on October 6, 1985, shortly before her husband, who died on December 12, 1986. Both were buried together and their son, Samuel Georg, was symbolically laid to rest with them in the Central Cemetery in Vienna. To her dying day, Anna Sussmann refused to view certain people, such as Josef Mengele, as human beings.


Photos of the Sussmann family headstones
in the Central Cemetery in Vienna, Austria.

To commemorate her deportation, Anna Sussmann’s name is inscribed on the Wall of Names at the Shoah Memorial (17 rue Geoffroy-l’Asnier, in the 4th district of Paris, France).


Our own photo of the Wall of Names at the Shoah Memorial in Paris.


  • Archives collections from the Shoah Memorial in Paris, France
  • Archives of The Austrian Resistance (DÖW) in Vienna, Austria
  • The book Vom Widerspruch zum Widerstand (From Opposition to Resistance), by Lilli Segal, Verlag Neuer Weg, 1991
  • The book Fringale de vie contre usine à mort, (A craving for life vs. a killing factory) by Régine Skorka-Jacubert, Le Manuscrit, 2009
  • Interview with Anna & Heinrich Sussmann published in the newspaper Le Journal du Midi Ö1 on 09.02.1985:

Authors :

This biography was written by six students from the Akademisches Gymnasium high school in Graz, Austria (Xavier Bodenlenz, Emmeline Bruere-Ngo, Levi Herrich, Andrea Jernej, Fanni Ratkai, Hans Stettner), under the guidance of their history teacher, Ms. Laura Cencig, in partnership with five students from the Galilée high school in Combs-la-Ville, in the Seine-et-Marne department of France, (Carla Iozzia, Ray Le Bars-Gauthier, Damien Mandon, Lou-Ann Mournetas-Fievez, Lina Saber Chérif), with the guidance of their History and Geography teacher, Mr. Grégoire Dujardin.




Familien- und Privatleben :

Anna (Anni, Anne) Sussmann wird am 8. Oktober 1909 in Wien als Goldscheider in eine jüdische Familie geboren. Ihre Eltern sind Camilla Heller und Emmanuel Goldscheider. Sie hat einen Bruder, Paul Goldscheider, der im September 1942 deportiert wird.

Sie arbeitet als Krankenschwester, bevor sie am 9. Juni 1937 von Österreich nach Frankreich flieht. Am 4. November 1937 heiratet sie in Paris den österreichischen Maler und Illustrator Heinrich (Henri, Heinrick) Sussmann[16].

Heiratsurkunde von Henri Sussman und Anne Goldsheider, am 4. November 1937, im Rathaus des 19. Arrondissement von Paris – Departementsarchive von Paris

Von 1938 bis 1941 lebt das Paar auf dem 8. Platz an der Donau in Paris. Um ihren Lebensunterhalt zu bestreiten, verkauft Heinrich einige Gemälde und Anna Schmuck und Teppiche[17].

Leben im Widerstand :

Sie treten im Mai 1941 in den Widerstand gegen die Nazis in Marseille (in der freien Zone) ein[18]. Dort treffen sie auf einen Mann namens Emile, der ihnen gefälschte Papiere mit dem Namen Solvat liefert. Ein Jahr später, 1942, werden sie nach Paris geschickt, um als Verbindungsbeamte (insbesondere zwischen einer Frau und einem Mann namens Ullmann) zu arbeiten. Anna gibt später an, diese Arbeit bis Juni 1943 geleistet zu haben. So beteiligen sich ihr Mann und sie an Widerstandsaktionen gegen die deutsche Armee (defätistische Propaganda, Verteilung von Flugblättern usw…).

Am 1. Dezember 1943 schließen sie sich den französischen Streitkräften des Innern (FFI) an[19]. Anna nimmt regelmäßig an geheimen Treffen mit anderen Mitgliedern teil, vor allem in der Rivoli-Straße, sie wird also „die Frau von Rivoli“ und Heinrich „der Mann von Rivoli“ genannt. Sie verwenden mehrere falsche Namen wie Selby, Sebastien oder Beranger, die ihnen von Emile zur Verfügung gestellt werden. Seit 1943 werden Anna und Heinrich jedoch von der Gestapo und einer Sonderbrigade beschattet, die sie im November desselben Jahres aus den Augen verloren hatten.

Verhaftung :

Nach langer Suche und Überwachung werden die Sussmanns von der Polizei gefunden. Anna und ihr Mann werden schließlich am 1. Juni 1944 verhaftet, als sie in der Rue Truffaut 43 in Paris als Mitglieder der M.O.I (Immigrant Workers) wohnen[20], einem kommunistischen Netzwerk, dem beispielsweise die Manouchian-Gruppe angehörte (Gruppe armenischer, jüdischer, polnischer und anderer Saboteure, die für mehrere Anschläge verantwortlich waren).

Die Verhaftung, Ka Schmitz, Mai 2023

Bei ihren Verhören bestreiten sie zunächst jede Beteiligung. Nach der Folter Heinrichs vor Annas Augen gesteht das Ehepaar die Vorwürfe und gibt zu, Mitglieder der kommunistischen Partei (Hoffmann, Strobel, Hagmüller) getroffen zu haben.

Das Ehepaar wird nach ihrem Gestapo-Verhör nach Auschwitz deportiert und getrennt. Anna wird vor der Deportation nach Auschwitz an mehreren Orten interniert:[21]

  • Vom 1. Juni 1944 bis zum 6. Juni 1944 : Sie ist inhaftiert und wird befragt.
  • Vom 6. Juni 1944 bis zum 31. Juli 1944 : Sie wird in Fresnes eingesperrt, wo sie Lilli Auchman trifft und dann mit ihr ins Lager Drancy überstellt wird.
  • Am 31. Juli 1944 : Die beiden Frauen werden mit dem Konvoi 77 ins Lager Auschwitz deportiert.



Ankunft im Konzentrationslager :

Anna kommt am 4. August 1944 im Lager Auschwitz an und bleibt dort bis Oktober 1944. Sie ist zu dem Zeitpunkt schwanger. Bei einem Gespräch mit einer gefangenen Polin rät ihr diese, unter keinen Umständen von ihrer Schwangerschaft zu erzählen. Sie ist für andere Häftlinge interessant, da sie über Informationen aus der Außenwelt verfügt. Sie erzählt ihnen zum Beispiel, dass die Rote Armee bereits hinter dem Gebirgszug der Beskiden sei, den man von Auschwitz aus am Horizont sehen kann. Sie glaubt fest daran, dass die Sowjetunion das Lager befreien wird, bevor sie gebären muss. Als ihr die ältesten Insassinnen von den Krematorien und Gaskammern erzählen, kann Anna es nicht glauben. Sie versucht, nicht an die Gräueltaten im Lager zu denken.[22]

Am 20. August spürt Anna am Morgen Wehen. Beim mehrstündigen Zählappell hat sie immer wieder Wehen. Deswegen bittet sie nach dem Zählappell die Blockälteste, ob sie wegen ihrer Wehen trotzdem in den Block dürfte, obwohl es verboten ist. Nachdem sie hineingelassen wird, darf sie sich auf altem Brot neben einem Ofen hinlegen. Durch eine Erinnerung an einen Besuch eines Kreißsaals in einem Wiener Spital weiß sie, wie man sich bei einer Geburt verhalten sollte. Nach kurzer Zeit wird ihr Kind geboren. Eine andere Gefangene ruft ihr zu: „Anni, es ist ein Bub! Und er lebt!“. Als Mengele (ein SS-Lagerarzt, der während des Zweiten Weltkriegs unmenschliche Experimente an Gefangenen durchführte) auftaucht, erstarren alle.[23]

“Und der hat das Kind genommen und hat es in den
brennenden Ofen geworfen.”, Zeichnung von Andrea Jernej, Mai 2023
Zitat von Anna Sussmann aus einem Interview mit Anna & Heinrich

Sussmann im Ö1 Mittagsjournal vom 1985.02.09

Eine ungarische Häftlingsärztin gibt Anna die Option, ins Krankenrevier des Lagers zu gehen, während sie sie auch vor der Gefahr häufiger Selektion (Sortierung von Gefangenen, die nicht mehr arbeitstauglich waren, um sie anschließend zu ermorden) warnt, die dort üblich sind. Diese Gefahr ist Anna egal. Anna wird tatsächlich ausgewählt und zu den Duschen geschickt. “Wir haben also nicht gewusst, kommt jetzt Wasser oder kommt Gas ?”. Es ist Wasser. Die ausgewählten Häftlinge werden anschließend in Viehwagen verladen. Nach zwei Tagen kommen sie an und während der Straßenarbeit, für die sie ausgewählt werden, kann Anni auf Basis von Wegweisern feststellen, dass sie im Sudetengebiet sein muss.

Später, am 28. Oktober, wird sie nachts mit anderen Gefangenen in eine Waffenfabrik in Weiskirchen-Kratzau geführt. Währenddessen schreien Frauen aus der Umgebung die SS-Leute an: „Ihr Dreckschweine, für euch werden wir einmal die Rechnung bezahlen!“. Sie werfen den Gefangenen Äpfel oder Brotstücke zu[24].

Flucht aus dem Werk Kratzau :[25]

Die Flucht, Ka Schmitz, Mai 2023

Am 20. November 1944 findet eine organisatorische Änderung des Lagers statt. Um zu verhindern, dass das Lager bombardiert wird, sind alle Lichter nachts aus. So erkennen Anna, ihre Freundin Lilli Segal und eine holländische Frau ihre Chance und beschließen, zu fliehen, indem sie die Dunkelheit nutzen.

Doch “die holländische Frau war die einzige, die zurückgenommen wurde, gemartert und am nächsten Tag starb…” [26]. Anna und Lilli Segal gelingt es, unter dem Deckmantel der Nacht aus dem Lager zu fliehen. Sie erreichen zunächst ein Dorf, in dem Glauben, dass ein katholischer Priester sie beherbergen oder verstecken könnte. Der Priester, den sie vorfinden, erkennt sie jedoch sofort als Kriegsgefangene an und weigert sich, sie aufzunehmen, aus Angst vor den Folgen. Trotz des Hungers und Annas durchlöcherter Schuhe, die die Flucht erschweren, gehen sie weiter und hören später Stimmen französischer Männer in der Nähe der Stadt Zittau. Sie sprechen mit ihnen und geben sich selbst als Kriegsgefangene aus. Die Männer verstecken die beiden Frauen drei Tage lang. Für den Heimweg versorgen die Männer sie mit Kleidung, die ihnen von einer einheimischen Bäuerin angeboten wird. Anna und Lilli Segal erreichen Dresden und werden von protestantischen Frauen unterstützt, die Hitler für den Antichristen halten und die Flüchtlinge mit Nahrung versorgen. Nach einigen Tagen und einer Umgehung des Bodensees erreichen sie am 3. Dezember 1944 die Schweiz. Dort berichten sie über die Ereignisse in Auschwitz und organisieren den Versand von Paketen des Roten Kreuzes an ihre eingesperrten Kameraden.

Am 4. März 1945 verlässt Anna die Schweiz und wird am 15. Juni 1945 nach Frankreich zurückgebracht. Sie wird zunächst im Hotel Lutecia untergebracht, das zu dieser Zeit als Auffanglager für Migranten dient.

Karte von Annas und Lilli Segals Weg, Vom Widerspruch
zum Widerstand, Lilli Segal, Verlag Neuer Weg, 1991

Heinrichs Gefangenschaft :

Heinrich kommt in Auschwitz ins Stammlager 1. Er kommt in den Block 18 und lernt Hermann Langbein kennen, einen Nazi-Jäger. Heinrich bleibt bis zur Befreiung im selben Block. Er wird eines Tages bei einer Selektion zur Tötung ausgewählt, hat jedoch Glück. Der Lagerarbeitskommandant braucht einen Grafiker und Heinrich ist einer von sechs Grafikern bei der Selektion. Sie werden eingekleidet und sind erleichtert, doch weiterleben zu dürfen.

Aufgrund des Anrückens der sowjetischen Soldaten sollte das Lager am 18.01.1945 evakuiert und später gesprengt werden. Die Schwächlichen werden beim Abmarsch sofort erschossen. Heinrich überlebt, weil er sich bis zuletzt mit ein paar anderen Gefangenen im Kohlebunker versteckt. Am 27.01 hören sie Geschrei von außen und denken, dass das Lager gesprengt wird. Heinrich rappelt sich auf und klettert durch ein kleines Fenster. Draußen wird der zurzeit 38 Kilogramm schwere Heinrich von drei Soldaten der Roten Armee empfangen. In ihren Armen weint er[27]. Er wird schließlich am 10. Mai 1945 über Odessa nach Marseille zurückgebracht.[28]


Zurück in Wien :

Nach all diesen Ereignissen trifft sich das Ehepaar Sussmann und kehrt nach Österreich zurück, wo sie in der Sieveringerstraße 107 in Wien wohnen. Anni tritt nach ihrer Rückkehr nach Österreich aus der kommunistischen Partei aus.[29]

Eine Anekdote von Heinrich Sussmann über ihren Empfang in Wien: „Wie wir nach Wien zurückgekommen sind, 1945 […] sind (wir) eines Tages in das Haus gegangen, wo meine Eltern gewohnt haben. Begrüßt wurden wir von der Hausbesorgerin: „Jessas, de Juden san scho wieder da! (Jesus, die Juden sind schon wieder da!)“.[30]

Kampf um Entschädigung und Anerkennung :

Um den Titel einer/eines Widerstandsdeportierten zu erhalten, müssen Anna und Heinrich Beweise für ihre Beteiligung an Widerstandsgruppen vorlegen (Zeugen- aussagen sowie Nachweise ihres Wohnsitzes in Frankreich zu dieser Zeit). René Camphin (ehemaliger Oberst der FFI) bezeugt, dass Anna Sussmann am 1. Dezember 1943 freiwillig dem FFI beigetreten ist.

Widerstands deportiertenkarte, n°209933789

Auch Laurence Belet (Résistance-Médaille und Bibliothekarin in der Nationalbibliothek) und Helene Fuhlrich bescheinigen, dass das Paar unter falschen Namen lebte, bevor es von der Gestapo verhaftet und verfolgt wurde. Sie waren gezwungen, unter unmenschlichen Bedingungen zu leben. Am 28. September 1962 erhält Anna eine positive Stellungnahme der Nationalen Kommission und damit den Titel Widerstandsdeportierte.

Brief von René Camphin, 19. Oktober 1945

Am 22. Mai 1963 erhält Anna Sussmann aufgrund ihrer Krankheiten – sie leidet unter anderem am asthenischen Syndrom, unter körperlicher und geistiger Erschöpfung und Schlafstörungen – die Militärinvalidenrente. Ein Großteil der gesundheitlichen Probleme tritt schon während der Zeit der Deportationen auf, wird aber erst 1963 konstatiert.

Beschreibung der Behinderungen, die zur Gewährung einer
militärischen Invaliditätsrente oder einer Kriegsopferrente führen,
Akte 01-75 138.614/ F

Anna erhält einen Veteranenausweis, der vom 20. Juni 1963 bis zum 19. Juni 1968 gültig ist. Er ermöglicht die Unterstützung des Nationalen Amtes für Kriegsveteranen und Kriegsopfer.

Am 16. September 1971 erhält Anna eine Invaliditätskarte, die bis zum 15. September 1976 gültig ist. Diese wird dann erneuert und ist damit bis zum 12. Juli 1981 gültig. Eine dritte Version behält ihre Gültigkeit bis 2. Juli 1986. Mit dieser Karte erhält Anna einen Rabatt von 75% auf die Zugtickets der SNCF (französische Zuglinie).

Invaliditätskarte, Anna Sussmann, n°721905

1972 wird Anna als Zeugin zu Gericht im Prozess gegen Josef Mengele geladen. Da aber schon der Empfang der Zeugenladung einen Nerven- zusammenbruch bei ihr auslöst und sich im Zuge auch ihre Depression, welche auf ihre Zeit in den Konzentrationslagern zurückzuführen ist, verschlechtert, erscheint sie nicht als Zeugin.

Brief von Anna Sussmanns Anwalt an den Wiener Gerichtshof, in dem er mitteilt, dass Anna aus gesundheitlichen Gründen nicht erscheininen wird.

Anna Sussmann stirbt am 6. Oktober 1985, einige Zeit vor ihrem Mann (12. Dezember 1986). Beide sind symbolisch mit ihrem Sohn Samuel Georg auf dem Wiener Zentralfriedhof beigesetzt. Für den Rest ihres Lebens weigert sich Anna Sussmann, bestimmte Personen wie Josef Mengele als Menschen zu betrachten.

Fotos der Grabsteine (Zentralfriedhof Wien)

Im Gedenken an sie ist Anna Sussmanns Name an der Wand des Mémorial de la Shoah in Paris zu finden (17 rue Geoffroy-l’Asnier, 75004 Paris, Frankreich)


Private Aufnahme aus dem Mémorial de la Shoah in Paris

Beteiligte Personen     

Diese Biographie wurde von 6 Schüler:innen des Akademischen Gymnasiums Graz (Xavier Bodenlenz, Emmeline Bruere-Ngo, Levi Herrich, Andrea Jernej, Fanni Ratkai, Hans Stettner), unter der Leitung ihrer Geschichte-Lehrerin Frau Laura Cencig und in Zusammenarbeit mit 5 Schüler:innen des Lycée Galilée aus Combs-la-Ville en Seine-et-Marne (Carla Iozzia, Ray Le Bars=Gauthier, Damien Mandon, Lou-Ann Mournetas-Fievez, Lina Saber Chérif), unter Leitung ihres Geschichte -und Geographie-Lehrers im Abibac-Programm, Herrn Gregoire Dujardin, verfasst.

Quellen :

  • Archivbestände des Mémorial de la Shoah (Paris)
  • Archivbestände des DÖW
  • Buch Vom Widerspruch zum Widerstand, Lilli Segal, Verlag Neuer Weg, 1991
  • Buch Fringale de vie contre usine à mort, Régine Skorka-Jacubert, Le Manuscrit, 2009
  • Interview mit Anna & Heinrich Sussmann im Mittagsjournal Ö1 vom 1985.02.09


Notes et références

[1] Mémorial de la Shoah, interrogatoire d’Anna Sussmann du 3 juin 1944

[2] Mémorial de la Shoah, interrogatoire de Heinrich du 2 juin 1944

[3] Certificat du “Front national de lutte pour la libération et l’indépendance de la France”, réf. 42.315

[4] Certificat du colonel F.F.I. René Camphin, 19 octobre 1945

[5] Rapport d’arrestation d’Anna et Heinrich Sussmann du 1er juin 1944

[6] Demande d’attribution du titre de Déporté Résistant d’Anna Sussmann de 1958

7] D’après l’interview d’Anna & Heinrich Sussmann dans le journal Ö1 du 09.02.1985

[8] D’après l’interview d’Anna & Heinrich Sussmann dans le journal Ö1 du 09.02.1985

[9] D’après le livre autobiographique Vom Widerspruch zum Widerstand, Lilli Segal, Verlag Neuer Weg, 1991

[10] Extrait du livre Fringale de vie contre usine à mort, Régine Skorka-Jacubert, Le manuscrit, 2009

[11] D’après une interview d’Heinrich & Anna Sussmann pour Ö1 Mittagsjournal daté du 1985.02.09

[12] Dossier de demande d’attribution du statut de déporté ou interné résistant auprès du Ministère des anciens combattants, 01/07/1958

[13] D’après une interview d’Heinrich & Anna Sussmann pour Ö1 Mittagsjournal daté du 1985.02.09

[14] Lettre de Laurence Belet datant du 20 novembre 1963

[15] Carte de combattant volontaire de la résistance délivrée le 21 juin 1963

[16] Mémorial de la Shoah, 3/6/44, Anna Sussmanns Verhör

[17] Mémorial de la Shoah, 2/6/44, Heinrich Sussmanns   Verhör

[18] Urkunde vom “Front national de lutte pour la libération et l’indépendance de la France” réf : 42.315

[19] Urkunde von Oberst F. F. I. René Camphin, 19. Oktober 1945

[20] Bericht über die Verhaftung von Anna und Heinrich Sussmann vom 1. Juni 1944

[21] Antrag von Anna Sussmann auf Verleihung des Titels “Deportierter Widerständler” von 1958

[22] Aus einem Interview mit Anna & Heinrich Sussmann im Ö1 Mittagsjournal vom 1985.02.09

[23] Aus einem Interview mit Anna & Heinrich Sussmann im Ö1 Mittagsjournal vom 1985.02.09

[24] Aus einem Interview mit Anna & Heinrich Sussmann im Ö1 Mittagsjournal vom 1985.02.09

[25] Nach dem autobiografischen Buch Vom Widerspruch zum Widerstand, Lilli Segal, Verlag Neuer Weg, 1991

[26] Auszug aus dem Buch Fringale de vie contre usine à mort, Régine Skorka-Jacubert, Le Maunscrit, 2009

[27] Laut Heinrichs Aussagen in einem Interview mit Anna & Heinrich Sussmann im Ö1 Mittagsjournal vom 1985.02.09

[28] Antragsdossier auf Zuerkennung des Status eines Deportierten oder Widerstandsinternierten beim Ministerium für ehemalige Kombattanten, 01/07/1958

[29] Aus einem Interview mit Anna & Heinrich Sussmann im Ö1 Mittagsjournal vom 1985.02.09

[30] Laut Heinrichs Aussagen in einem Interview mit Anna & Heinrich Sussmann im Ö1 Mittagsjournal vom 1985.02.09


This biography was written by six students from the Akademisches Gymnasium high school in Graz, Austria (Xavier Bodenlenz, Emmeline Bruere-Ngo, Levi Herrich, Andrea Jernej, Fanni Ratkai, Hans Stettner), under the guidance of their history teacher, Ms. Laura Cencig, in partnership with five students from the Galilée high school in Combs-la-Ville, in the Seine-et-Marne department of France, (Carla Iozzia, Ray Le Bars-Gauthier, Damien Mandon, Lou-Ann Mournetas-Fievez, Lina Saber Chérif), with the guidance of their History and Geography teacher, Mr. Grégoire Dujardin.

Reproduction of text and images

Any reproduction, even partial, of a biography must require prior written agreement from the association. To request authorization, please complete the form below : Form

For any use of an image from the Defense Historical Service (SHD), please go to their online service “Request a duplication”.


Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


hébergement Umazuma - OVH

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?