Chana Fajgla LASK, née KOPLEWICZ

1903 - 1944 | Naissance: | Arrestation: , | Résidence: ,

This biography of Chana Fajgla LASK, née KOPLEWICZ,  is copied from the one produced by the students of the Lakanal middle school in Sceaux dealing with the LASK family.

When convoy 77 pulled out of Bobigny station on July 31, 1944, it carried off to Auschwitz a French Jewish family of Polish origin, the Lasks —Isacher, Chana and their two sons, Joseph and Robert respectively 20 and 16 years of age.
None of them were to come back alive.
Chana Fajgla was born on November 30, 1903 in the village of Przedborz about 100 kilometers (60 miles) southeast of Łódź. She was the daughter of Michel Koplewicz and Rajzla Dawna, who were bakers. The family seems to have originated there, which is confirmed by the testimony of Eugenia, one of Chana’s nieces1.
Isacher was born into the home of Mendel and Gitla Lask on January 20, 1895 at Będzin in southwestern Poland, where a large Jewish community lived.
The exact date of Isacher’s arrival in France is unknown, but we do know he enlisted in the Foreign Legion at the outbreak of the First World War. He signed his enlistment papers2 in Paris on August 23, 1914 for “the duration of the war”. This document provides a perfunctory physical description of Isacher. He had “dark brown” hair, an “average” forehead, and he was 1.62 meters (5 feet 3 inches) tall. His civil status is succinct: his first name is given as Isaac. His birthplace is “Berdine” in “Russia”3, and his parents’ first names were Maudet and Goutla. He was incorporated into the 2nd foreign Regiment.
France encouraged and warmly welcomed foreign volunteers into the Foreign Legion. 8500 foreign Jews were incorporated into the Legion’s volunteer regiments. 1600 of them lost their lives during the conflict, particularly in the Artois offensives in 1915. The details of Isacher’s enlistment are not known, but certain sources indicate that he received a pension and that his service in the war left him physically marked. The third finger of his right hand was amputated, and he limped from a frostbitten right foot4. This detail is confirmed in a letter5 addressed in 1946 to the Interior Ministry by Félix Caplan, a brother-in-law living in Rio de Janeiro who was seeking news of the family.
According to one of his nephews, M. Koplewicz, who was still a child during the war, he was very proud of his military decorations and wore them on every appropriate occasion.
His elder son Sinisia, also called Ruben and most often Robert, was born in Dobromierz, Poland in 1924, six years after the end of the Great War.
Joseph (the spelling varies; we have retained the gallicized version, which is the form most frequently encountered in the documents pertaining to him), the younger son, was born on July 5, 1928 in Dobromierz, like his brother.
The two boys were thus born in the 1920’s. It would seem hardly likely that Isacher returned to Poland between the wars and then came back to France. It is possible that they were Chana’s children from a previous marriage and that she came to France with them between 1928 and 1933. No document has been found to confirm this hypothesis.
On January 17, 1933 Isacher and Chana married in the town hall of Paris’s 3rd district. Isacher, who was 38, was then a hatter, and Chana, who was 29, was a furrier. The marriage was witnessed by M. Anzlevitch, a furrier in the 3rd district, probably either Chana’s employer or a colleague, and M. Korzex, a tradesman resident in Arcueil. Chana indicated her address as n° 8 cité du Petit-Thouars in the 3rd district, and Isacher lived at n° 4 rue du Moulin-à-Vent in Sarcelles, north of Paris.  After the wedding they settled at 6 rue Lesage in the 20th district.
Between the wars many Polish Jews fled from the pogroms in Poland. In Paris these Jews engaged in various professions: peddlers, stallholders, dealers in second-hand goods, tailors, dressmakers, knitters, shoemakers, hatters, etc. They lived in the shtetl around the rue des Rosiers in the 4th district, and also in the Belleville and Ménilmontant neighborhood in the 20th district, the area in which the Lask family made several moves.
1.4 million people died in France during the First World War. This demographic drain was a problem that a loosening of immigration and naturalization policy in 1924, and especially in 1927, sought to remedy.  Residence requirements dropped from 10 to 3 years, which led to double the number of naturalizations, rising from 10,000 a year in 1925-1926 to 22,500 in 1928-1929. The economic crisis in 1929 caused a surge of xenophobia; quotas on foreigners in certain professions were established and immigration was curtailed. In the 1931 census France counted around 2.7 million foreigners, about 7% of the population, and 361,000 naturalized citizens. It was then the country with the highest rate of immigration, before the United States, which had introduced quotas in the early 1920’s. From 1931 on, the effects of the Depression were palpable; as unemployment increased, so did racial prejudice and xenophobia. Alien invasion became a recurrent theme. In 1932 a law protecting the “national workforce” was voted, and in 1935 quotas were set up by decree to limit the number of alien workers in practically all sectors of the economy. The government even organized the expulsion of foreign workers to their homelands.
It was in this highly unfavorable context that the four members of the Lask family obtained French citizenship in August, 19346.
From 1933 to 1936 the Lask family lived at 6 rue Lesage in the 20th district. At the age of 6 Joseph started elementary school at 51 rue Ramponneau.
In October, 1936 Joseph was 8 years old.  He was enrolled in the elementary school at 9 rue Tlemcen, still in the 20th district. The family was now living quite near, at n° 27 on the same street. He was a good student. His teacher7 describes him as having an alert mind and specifies that his schoolwork is steady. At the age of 14 he left school in July, 1942 to begin his apprenticeship. Thereafter, he was to indicate on all his administrative documents that he was an apprentice pastry maker.
In October, 1938 a first commerce8 was registered in Chana’s name. It was a hosiery/lingerie shop located at 98 rue des Amandiers, at the corner of 62 rue des Panoyaux, where the Lasks were domiciled up to their arrest in 1944.
A few months later in February, 1939 another inscription on the commerce register indicates that the Lasks had set up a new business under the trade name “Aux C Volontaires (sic)”. What does this C signify? Commerce? This time it was Isacher in whose name the activity was registered, with the precision that it still pertained to hosiery and would be exercised from a stall. It is not known whether it had a fixed address9. Both activities ceased on the same date in March, 1941.
On September 27, 1940 the military command published the first order for a census to be taken of the Jews in the Northern Zone by the 20th of October. A few days later, on October 1, the first Jewish Statute was issued, followed by a second one a few months later in June, 1941. Starting on October 2nd the authorities ordered “Jewish nationals” to report to their local police station. Individual and family data sheets were then established. The Lasks, no doubt assured that as good French citizens they were at no risk, complied with the order. They could obviously not imagine that this file, which listed for Paris alone over 140,000 names, would be used to carry out roundups and arrests. Isacher’s sheet states his profession as manual worker, as does Chana’s. Twelve-year-old Joseph is listed as a pastry maker, and Robert, who was sixteen, is put down as a salaried draftsman.
After this count was taken the Jews had to go once again to their local police station with their identity papers, on which the mention “Jew” or “Jewess” was stamped in red ink.
A photo11 of the Lask family was taken in 1941. It shows from right to left: Isacher, Chana, Robert and Joseph. All four look serene and even cheerful. They are well dressed, Isacher and his sons wearing coat and tie, with a pocket handkerchief. Chana is elegant, dressed in a lavallière blouse, her makeup carefully applied. She is wearing earrings and a brooch. On the back of the photo is the following inscription: “In memory of your sister Lask Family, R. Lask April 24, 1941”. Although the occasion of this photograph is unknown, the dedication indicates that it was gift for Chana’s sister, who having miraculously escaped deportation, kept and transmitted it to her son Michel, who gave it to the Mémorial de la Shoah.
The law on “aryanization” in France was decreed by the Vichy regime in July, 1941, five months after the Lasks had closed their business. Madame Chapron-Goberville, residing at 101 rue de l’Université in Paris was named provisional executor on December 4, 1941. On December 26 she wrote to inform the General Commission for Jewish Questions that the business was shut down. Subsequently, until December 1943, she was to write many times to claim her fees and the reimbursement of the expenses incurred by her “mission”. From a letter dated June, 1942 she seems to have met Isacher, since she writes, “no way to determine turnover, the individual concerned stating around 80,000 francs, an unverifiable amount, hence my remuneration set at least at 375 francs per month…”
In the spring of 1942 a German decree ordered all Jews to be identified by a yellow star worn on their clothing.
In September, 1942 Isacher addressed a letter to the administration12 to inquire what had become of his nephews, Georges and Albert Graudens, from whom he had not heard:
“Monsieur le Préfet,
I have the honor of calling your attention to my request.
It is a question of my nephew Albert Graudens, of French citizenship, 16 years old, interned on July 16, 1942 with his parents and his brother Georges, also of French citizenship, aged 9 years, taken from their home at 18 rue de Belleville, Paris 20th.
I am without news of these children and as the children of French citizenship of their age have not been interned in their case, I make bold, Monsieur le Préfet de Police, to solicit my two nephews’ liberation.
I am a Jew with French citizenship, a disabled veteran of the 1914 war, and thus the recipient of a pension.
I assure my ability to provide for these two children.
I thank you cordially in advance for the expected favorable response.
Please accept, Monsieur le Préfet, my most respectful greetings.”
Mr Maurice Lask
62 rue des Panoyaux
Paris 20th
Isacher’s letter is written in blue ink on scored paper in a careful, fluid hand. The clumsy style, the spelling and syntax mistakes make it particularly moving. Who actually wrote it? Isacher himself? Or did he give the task to one of his sons? It is to be noted that Isacher, no doubt as a sign of integration, had apparently given up his first name, getting rid its connotations in this summer of 1942 by changing it to Maurice.
This letter furnishes precious information. First of all, it was written more than a month after the tragic events to which it refers, that is the Vel d’Hiv roundup during which around 13,000 Jews were arrested in Paris and the suburbs, most of them at their homes, by the French military police and then deported to the camp at Pithiviers, and from there to Auschwitz to be gassed or put to forced labor by the Germans. Isacher must have made inquiries, probably gone to the Graudens home, talked to the neighbors and sought to whom he should address his request.
The tone and the content of the letter give the impression that Isacher feels no need to fear any form of persecution. While he specifies from the outset that he is Jewish, he immediately adds that he is French. In addition to his citizenship he mentions his status as a war veteran with a pension.
The reply from the police commissioner who commanded the Drancy internment camp, who was directly under the authority of Aloïs Brunner, to the general police chief is terse:
“With the enclosed remittance of a letter from Monsieur Lask, 62 rue des Panoyaux, Paris 20th that you transmitted to me, I have the honor to inform you that the GRAUDENS family was deported on August 17, 1942”.
Isacher Lask’s nephews, Albert Graudens, born on November 29, 1926 and Georges  Graudens, born on June 26, 1933, were both born in Paris and lived at 18 rue de Belleville. They were arrested with their parents in the Vel d’Hiv roundup on July 17, 1942 and deported to the camp at Pithiviers. The four members of the family were sent to Auschwitz in different convoys.
It has been very difficult to track down the four members of this family, because their name is subject to many different spellings according to the source: Grandans/Grodens/Gramdans/Graudens/ Grandens and even Granoams…
Szymon/Simon Grandans/Grodens, born in 1901 at Dobra/Kalisch, Poland, was deported from the Pithiviers/Beaune-la-Rolande camp to Auschwitz on July 30-31, 1942. Szymon died at Auschwitz on November 5, 1942, officially of pneumonia.
Frimet / Frejmet Gramdans/Grandans, born at Radomska, Poland in 1904, was also sent from Pithiviers/Beaune-la-Rolande on August 2, 1942. There is no trace of her arrival in Auschwitz, as she was no doubt gassed as she got off the train.
Georges, born in Paris on March 26, 1933, was deported to Auschwitz in convoy n° 20 on August 17, 1942, a convoy made up almost exclusively of children who were murdered upon arrival.
Albert, born in Paris on November 29, 1926, was deported to Auschwitz in convoy n° 23 on August 24, 1942. The absence of any trace of the sixteen-year-old in the archives indicates the probability of his extermination on arrival.
In 1943 Robert was 19. He had his photograph taken for his birthday, elegantly fitted out in coat and tie. He looks like an adult, well groomed and with a cheerful face. On the back of the photo is a dedication: “With my friendliest wishes on my 19th birthday R. Lask”13.
On June 6, 1944 the allies landed in Normandy and the liberation of the national territory commenced.
The circumstances of the Lask family’s arrest were recounted to us by M. Koplewicz, who got them from an account by his mother.
At the beginning of July, 1944, with the allied troops marching on Paris, the two boys were out for a walk (perhaps on Joseph’s birthday July 5th). They were arrested by the French police, who interrogated them and obtained their address; then all they had to do was go and pick up Isacher and Chana.
The Lasks  arrived at Drancy on July 6, 1944. They were duly registered upon their arrival14, and their data sheets were filled out. It was noted that they were still French, and had not been affected by the law of July 22, 1940 that revised the naturalizations granted since 1927 and which made 15,000 people stateless.
In the 1930’s tenement housing (the cité de la Muette and five high-rise buildings) was built in Drancy as low-rent lodgings. These buildings were eventually turned into the Drancy holding camp, to be known from 1941 as “Drancy la juive” while still under construction. The deportees occupied the horseshoe-shaped building, while the German officers were lodged in the five towers whose height was impressive at the time. That is where the Lask family was to spend its last three weeks on French soil.
Arriving at Drancy on July 6, 1944, Isacher deposited the sum of 192 francs. He declared himself a steelworker. As the minimum wage for that profession was 1100 francs per month, this sum is ludicrous. Up to June, 1943, the camp cashier clerk, Maurice Kiffer, recorded 7,050 accounts for the prisoners at Drancy. As the sums attained up to 50,000 francs, we can conclude that the Lasks were below the average of the amounts brought to Drancy, even if the dates of the accounts deposited by the prisoners at Drancy are not the same (the Lasks arriving in July 1944 and the accounts dated 1943).  By comparison with the lowest salaries of different professions in France, it is seen that the Lasks either had no time to gather a more adequate sum of money when taken from their home, or they simply had no more than that…
The sum was to be remitted after the war to a cousin whose identity is unknown to us.
After a final roll call on July 31st Isacher, Chana and the boys got on a Paris bus that took them to the Bobigny train station, which had replaced the station at le Bourget for the deportations toward Poland since July 1943. Thanks to the testimony by survivors of convoy 77 we can get a pretty precise idea of the atmosphere of the departure. “When our bus started off we began to sing ” Ce n’est qu’un au revoir mes frères” (“We’ll be seeing you again soon, brothers”) […]. Riding through Drancy we sang, or I should say we shouted the Marseillaise. At the station in Bobigny we spied a long freight train off on a forsaken track. […] We were taken off the buses and made immediately to get on the train cars. As soon as we were in, the Germans bolted the door. There were sixty of us in our car”15. This precious testimony also informs us of the conditions of transportation. In addition to the crowding there was the heat of that summer of 1944 and the lack of air. “sixty to a cattle car with a single slop pail. We were given bread, but practically nothing to drink. The heat was suffocating”16 … “At noon the convoy began to roll […] the children were hot and thirsty and there was not enough air17.”
When they arrived at Auschwitz the Lasks were separated.
Isacher and Chana were not “selected” as they were taken off the train and were thus immediately gassed. They have left no trace in the Auschwitz archives and their date of death published in the Journal Officiel (August 5, 1944) is that of their arrival at the camp. Joseph and Robert, on the other hand, were admitted into the Birkenau concentration labor camp18. It is comforting to know that their I.D. numbers (numbers B3834 and B3835) are consecutive, which means they were not separated. The numbers were tatooed on their left forearms.
On October 28, 1944 Joseph was separated from his brother and transferred to the Stutthof camp. There he was attributed a new prisoner number: 0419. The Stutthof camp had originally been a civilian internment camp set up by the Germans in the Polish city of Dantzig. It was a huge concentration camp with some 105 subcamps.
Joseph died there on January 2, 1945. A document made out by the authorities of the sanitary unit specify 6:55 as the time of death. Thus, Joseph did not take part in the death marches and multiple evacuations that took place shortly thereafter. The official “medical” documents on his death established by the Nazi administration of the Stutthof camp indicate that Joseph died of a “cardiovascular disorder”, and that he was in a “general state of physical weakness”.  The camp physician confirmed death by natural causes and gave instructions for the body to be burned. On January 3, 1945 Joseph’s mortal remains were incinerated. The “medical” record is obviously dubious. Still it does establish that the date and place of death noted in the Mémorial de la déportation des Juifs de France and then published in the Journal Officiel (May 8, 1945 at Theresienstadt / Terezin) are wrong. Joseph was 16 years old.
In January Himmler ordered all the camps to be completely evacuated. Seven to eight hundred thousand prisoners were thus thrown out on the roads. Around 250,000 of them died of exhaustion during these death marches, or were simply shot. On January 18th  the roll was called for the last time at Auschwitz and several thousand (50,000 ?) prisoners were marched off west. Some were transported in open carts; the others walked. The mortality rate was appalling, the temperature dropped to as low as minus 25°C (minus 13°F), and there were no provisions. The Germans’ intention was to transfer them to Ravensbrück, Dora, Bergen-Belsen…
Robert arrived at Buchenwald on January 23, 1945 and was registered as number 120150. After several days in the “Little Camp” he was transferred on February 9th to the work camp “kommando Malachyt” at Langenstein-Zwieberge, near Halberstadt. This “kommando” was one of the many subcamps of Buchenwald. Arms were manufactured there in an underground factory. He was put into block 14. On February 16th Robert was admitted to the camp’s infirmary. He died there the following day, officially of pneumonia. He was 21 years old.
[1]  Testimony from Eugenia Magdiarz in The Last Eyewitnesses: Children of the Holocaust Speak (Jewish Lives  » I was born in the village of Dobromierz, which belonged to the Jewish community of Przedborz. In that village lived my mother’s parents, Michal and Rajzla Koplewicz. ».
[2] Feuillet modèle n°5. Archives de la Légion étrangère, Aubagne.
[3] After the partitions at the end of the 18th century and in 1815.
[4] data sheet 1938, Archives départementales de Paris
[5] SHD, Division des Archives des Victimes des Conflits Contemporains
[6] Archives Nationales, décrets de naturalisation n° 8571-34 du 03/08/1934 et 8575-34 du 03/08/1934
[7] Archives départementales de Paris
[8] Archives Nationales AJ/38/2021, dossier 7153
[9] In one of his messages to the Commission for Jewish Questions dated October, 1943, the provisional administrator in charge of “aryanizing” the business specifies that the activity was the sale of “lingerie and cloth cuttings” within an apartment, which adds a bit more precision
[10] Archives Nationales
[11] Mémorial de la Shoah, gift from M.Koplewicz
[12] Archives de la préfecture de police
[13] Mémorial de la Shoah, gift from M.Koplewicz
[14] Archives Nationales
[15] Charlotte Schapira, testimony
[16] Régine Skorka-Jacubert, testimony
[17] Denise Holdstein, testimony
[18] Bad Arolsen Archives[:pl]

Biografia Chany Fajgli KOPLEWICZ, po mężu LASK, jest kopią tekstu dotyczącego rodziny LASK, napisanego przez uczniów 3e1 gimnazjum Lakanal w Sceaux.

Kiedy 31 lipca 1944 r. konwój nr 77 do Auschwitz opuścił dworzec w Bobigny, znajdowała się w nim rodzina francuskich żydów polskiego pochodzenia: Isacher i Chana Lask oraz ich dwóch synów, dzwudziestoletni Joseph i szesnastoletni Robert.

Żadne z nich nie powróciło.

Chana Fajgla urodziła się 30 listopada 1903 r. w miasteczku Przedbórz, około stu kilometrów na południowy wschód od Łodzi, jako córka Michała Koplewicza i Rajzli Dawnej, piekarzy. Jak wynika z relacji Eugenii, siostrzenicy Chany, Przedbórz był kolebką rodziny [1].

Isacher urodził się w rodzinie Mendla i Gitli Lask 20 stycznia 1895 r. w Będzinie, w południowo-zachodniej Polsce. W mieście żyła liczna społeczność żydowska.

Nie znamy dokładnej daty przybycia Isachera do Francji, wiemy jednak, że tuż po wybuchu I wojny światowej zaciągnął się do Legii Cudzoziemskiej. Kontrakt „na czas trwania wojny” podpisał 23 sierpnia 1914 r. w Paryżu [2]. Dokument ten zawiera skrótową charakterystykę fizyczną Isachera: włosy „ciemnobrązowe”, czoło „średnie”, wzrost 1,62 m. Informacje o stanie cywilnym są zwięzłe. Imię – Isaac, miejsce urodzenia – „Berdine” w Rosji [3], imiona rodziców – „Maudet” i „Goutla”. Zostaje wcielony do 2 pułku cudzoziemskiego.

Francja z radością przyjmuje cudzoziemskich rekrutów i zachęca ich do wstępowania do Legii Cudzoziemskiej. Czyni tak wówczas 8500 Żydów, przydzielonych do cudzoziemskich pułków piechoty. 1600 z nich ginie w czasie wojny, wielu – w czasie walk pod Artois w 1915 r.

Nie znamy szczegółów służby Isachera, ale dzięki odnalezionym dokumentom wiemy, że otrzymywał żołd i że jego udział w I wojnie światowej miał dla niego widoczne konsekwencje. Stracił trzeci palec u prawej ręki i miał odmrożoną prawą stopę, przez co kulał[4]. Ten szczegół potwierdza list [5] wysłany w 1946 r. do Ministerstwa Spraw Wewnętrznych przez zamieszkałego w Rio de Janeiro szwagra Isachera, Felixa Caplana, który poszukiwał wiadomości o swojej rodzinie.

Według M. Koplewicza, jednego z siostrzeńców Isachera, który w czasie wojny był dzieckiem, wuj był bardzo dumny z odznaczeń wojskowych i nosił je zawsze, kiedy tylko miał okazję.

Starszy z dwóch synów, Sinisia, nazywany Rubenem, a najczęściem Robertem, urodził się w Dobromierzu w Polsce, sześć lat po zakończeniu Wielkiej Wojny, w 1924 r.

Młodszy Joseph (imię zapisywane było różnie, przyjęliśmy wersję francuską, która najczęściej pojawia się w dokumentach) urodził się 5 lipca 1928 r. w Dobromierzu, jak jego brat.

Obaj chłopcy urodzili się w latach 20. Wydaje nam się mało prawdopodobne, żeby Isacher w okresie międzywojennym wrócił do Polski, a następnie znowu do Francji. Możemy zatem wysunąć przypuszczenie, że chłopcy pochodzą z pierwszego małżeństwa Chany, która przyjechała do Francji między 1928 a 1933 rokiem. Nie znaleźliśmy żadnego potwierdzającego to dokumentu.

17 stycznia 1933 r. Isacher i Chana wzięli ślub w Paryżu, w merostwie 3. dzielnicy. Isacher, trzydziestoośmioletni, pracował wówczas jako kapelusznik, a Chana, dwudziestodziewięcioletnia, jako kuśnierka. Świadkami ceremonii byli Anzlevitch, kuśnierz pracujący w 3. dzielnicy, prawdopodobnie pracodawca lub współpracownik Chany oraz Korzex, handlarz zamieszkały w Arcueil. Jako adres zamieszkania Chana podała 3. dzielnicę pod nr 8, cité du Petit-Thouars, a Isacher nr 4, rue du Moulin à Vent w Sarcelles, na północy Paryża. Po ślubie zamieszkali pod nr 6, rue Lesage w dzielnicy 20.

W okresie międzywojennym wielu polskich Żydów uciekało przed pogromami. W Paryżu wykonywali różne zawody: byli wędrownymi sprzedawcami, kramarzami, handlarzami starzyzną, krawcami, wytwórcami odzieży, dziewiarzami, szewcami, kapelusznikami itd. Skupiali się wokół rue des Rosier w 4. dzielnicy, ale także w 20., przede wszystkim w Belleville, w okolicy Menilmontant, jak rodzina Lask, która wielokrotnie zmieniała mieszkania, pozostając w tej okolicy.

I wojna światowa pochłonęła życie 1,4 mln Francuzów. Ta katastrofa demograficzna stanowiła problem, który próbowano rozwiązać otwarciem na imigrację i polityką naturalizacji, która ulega złagodzeniu począwszy od 1924, a zwłaszcza 1927 r. Obowiązek stałego zamieszkania we Francji przez okres 10 lat zmniejszono do 3 lat, czego konsekwencją było podwojenie liczby naturalizacji z 10 tysięcy rocznie w latach 1925-26 do 22 500 w latach 1928-29. Kryzys ekonomiczny 1929 r. powoduje wzrost nastrojów ksenofobicznych; wprowadza się ograniczenia liczby cudzoziemców mogących wykonywać niektóre zawody, ogranicza się imigrację. Według spisu powszechnego w 1931 r. we Francji mieszka 2,7 mln cudzoziemnców, co daje 7 % ludności, i 361 tysięcy osób naturalizowanych. Pod względem liczby imigrantów Francja wyprzedza zatem Stany Zjednoczone, które wprowadziły ograniczenia imigracji na początku lat 20. Począwszy od 1931 r. dają się odczuć skutki kryzysu, wzrasta bezrobocie, a także poziom uprzedzeń o podłożu rasistowskim i ksenofobicznym. Temat obcej inwazji staje się powszechny. W 1932 r. wchodzi w życie prawo mające chronić „narodową siłę roboczą”, a w 1935 r. kolejne dekrety wprowadzają ograniczenia liczby cudzoziemskich pracowników w prawie wszystkich sektorach gospodarki. Rząd organizuje nawet powroty zagranicznych pracowników do ich krajów pochodzenia.

W tych mało sprzyjających okolicznościach czworo członków rodziny Lask w sierpniu 1934 r. otrzymuje obywatelstwo francuskie [6].

Między 1933 a 1936 rokiem rodzina Lask mieszka pod numerem 6, rue Lesage w dzielnicy 20. W wieku 6 lat Joseph idzie do szkoły podstawowej przy 51, rue Ramponneau. W październiku 1936 r. Joseph ma 8 lat. Po wakacjach wraca do szkoły pod nr 9, rue Tlemcen, nadal w dzielnicy 20. Jego rodzina mieszka o dwa kroki stąd, pod nr 27 przy tej samej ulicy. Jest dobrym uczniem, według nauczyciela [7] jest chłopcem o „żywej inteligencji”, pracuje „systematycznie”. Opuszcza szkołę w lipcu 1942 r., w wieku 14 lat, i zaczyna naukę zawodu. We wszystkich dokumentach podawał odtąd, że jest uczniem cukierniczym.

W październiku 1938 r. Chana rejestruje swoje pierwsze przedsiębiorstwo. Jest to sklep bieliźniarski pod nr 98, rue des Amandiers, na roku 62, rue des Panoyaux, gdzie Laskowie mieszkają aż do aresztowania w 1944 r.

Kilka miesięcy później, w lutym 1939 r., drugi wpis w rejestrze przedsiębiorców sygnalizuje, że Laskowie otworzyli nową firmę. Nazwa handlowa przedsiębiorstwa brzmi: „aux C Volontaires (sic)”. Co oznacza C? Czy to pierwsza litera „commercants” – handlowcy? Tym razem właścicielem jest Isacher. We wpisie pojawia się informacja, że chodzi o handel obwoźny, w dalszym ciągu artykułami bieliźniarskimi. Nie wiemy, czy przedsiębiorstwo posiadało własny sklep [9]. Obie działalności zostają zawieszone w marcu 1941 r.

27 września 1940 r. dowództwo wojskowe publikuje pierwszy rozkaz zobowiązujący Żydów francuskich i obcokrajowców mieszkających w strefie okupowanej do poddania się spisowi do 20 października. Kilka dni później, 1 października, opublikowany został pierwszy „statut żydowski”, a kilka miesięcy po nim, w czerwcu 1941 r., następny. Począwszy od 2 października władze nakazywały „obywatelom żydowskiego pochodzenia” udanie się do komisariatu właściwego dla ich miejsca zamieszkania. Sporządzane są tam karty indywidualne i rodzinne. Laskowie, jak przystało na dobrych obywateli, raczej pewni, że jako Francuzom nic im nie grozi, posłuchali rozkazu. Nie przyszło im nawet do głowy, że ten spis, który w samym departamencie Seine liczył prawie 140 tysięcy imion, będzie wykorzystany do usprawnienia obław i aresztowań. W karcie Isachera [10] widnieje informacja, że pracuje on jako robotnik, a Chana – jako pracownica fizyczna. Joseph ma 12 lat i jest uczniem cukierniczym, a szesnastoletni Robert jest zatrudniony jako rysownik.

Po rejestracji Żydzi muszą ponownie zgłosić się na komisariat w miejscu zamieszkania z dokumentami tożsamości. Stawiana jest w nich czerwona pieczątka ze słowem „Żyd” lub „Żydówka”.

Zdjęcie [11] rodziny Lask zostało zrobione w 1941 r. Widać na nim od prawej do lewej: Isachera, Chanę, Roberta i Josepha. Wszyscy czworo są pogodni, wręcz uśmiechnięci. Ubrani są schludnie, Isacher i jego synowie mają marynarki, krawaty i butonierki. Chana jest elegancka, ma na sobie koszulę z kokardą i staranny makijaż. Włożyła kolczyki i broszkę. Z tyłu fotografii znajduje się opis: „Mojej siostrze na pamiątkę. Rodzina Lask, R. Lask, 24 kw. 1941”. Nie wiemy, z jakiej okazji zrobiono to zdjęcie. Dedykacja wskazuje, że zostało ono ofiarowane siostrze Chany, która cudem uniknęła deportacji i przechowała zdjęcie, a następnie przekazała je synowi, Michelowi, on zaś ofiarował je Memorial de la Shoah.

Ustawa o „aryzacji” Francji została uchwalona przez reżim Vichy w lipcu 1941 r. Laskowie zamknęli swoje przedsiębiorstwa pięć miesięcy wcześniej. Pani Chapron-Goberville, mieszkająca pod nr 101, rue de l’Universite w Paryżu zostaje wyznaczona na ich tymczasową administratorkę 4 grudnia 1941 r. Już 26 grudnia 1941 r. pisze do Komisariatu Generalnego do spraw żydowskich z informacją, że przedsiebiorstwo zostało zamknięte. Aż do grudnia 1943 r. wysyła listy, w których domaga się wynagrodzenia i zwrotu kosztów, które poniosła z tytułu swojej „misji”. W jednym z listów z czerwca 1942 r. pojawia się wzmianka, która może świadczyć o tym, iż spotkała ona Isachera, pisze bowiem: „brak możliwości poznania obrotów, osoba zainteresowana podała około 80 000 franków, nliczba niemożliwa do sprawdzenia, stąd ustalenie wysokości mojego uposażenia na kwotę minimalną, czyli 375 Frs miesięcznie… ”

Wiosną 1942 r. niemieckie rozporządzenie wprowadza obowiązek znakowania Żydów. Wszyscy muszą nosić na ubraniu żółtą gwiazdę.

We wrześniu 1942 Isacher zapytuje administrację [12] o los swoich siostrzeńców, Georgesa i Alberta Graudensów, od których nie ma żadnych wiadomości:

„Panie Prefekcie,

Zwracam się do Pana z następującą prośbą.

Chodzi o mojego siostrzeńca Alberta Graudensa, lat 16, posiadającego obywatelstwo francuskie, który 16 lipca 1942 r. został zainternowany wraz z rodzicami i bratem Georgesem Graudensem, lat 9, również obywatelem francuskim w domu 18, rue de Belleville, w 20. dzielnicy Paryża.

Nie mam żadnych wiadomości o tych dzieciach, a ponieważ dzieci w tym wieku, posiadające francuskie obywatelstwo, nie były w takich wypadkach internowane, pozwalam sobie, Szanowny Panie Prefekcie Policji, prosić o uwolnienie moich dwóch siostrzeńców.

Jestem Żydem narodowości francuskiej, weteranem, inwalidą wojny 1914 roku, otrzymuję rentę.

Zapewniam Pana, że mogę zająć się obojgiem dzieci.

W oczekiwaniu na pozytywną odpowiedź, z góry serdecznie dziękuję.

Proszę przyjąć pełne szacunku pozdrowienia “

Maurice Lask

62, rue des Panoyaux

Paryż 20

List Isachera został napisany niebieskim atramentem na papierze w kratkę, pismo jest schludne i płynne. Niezgrabność stylu, błędy ortograficzne i składniowe sprawiają, że jest on bardzo wzruszający. Kto go napisał? Sam Isacher? A może poprosił o pomoc jednego z synów? Warto zwrócić uwagę, że Isacher, prawdopodobnie dążąc do większej integracji, zdaje się porzucić swoje imię na rzecz budzącego mniej skojarzeń latem 1942 r. „Maurice’a”.

List Isachera zawiera cenne informacje. Przede wszystkim, został napisany ponad miesiąc po tragicznych wydarzeniach, do których się odnosi, czyli po Obławie Vel d’Hiv, w czasie której w Paryżu i na przedmieściach zatrzymano około 13 000 Żydów. Większość z nich zostało aresztowanych przez francuską żandarmerię we własnych domach, następnie deportowanych do obozu Pithiviers, a stamtąd do Auschwitz, gdzie wysłano ich do komór gazowych lub do pracy na rzecz Niemców. Isacher musiał więc zdobyć jakieś informacje, może udać się do domu Graudenów, wypytać sąsiadów i sprawdzić, do kogo powinien skierować swoją prośbę.

Ton i treść listu każą przypuszczać, że Isacher nie czuje się zagrożony prześladowaniami. Co prawda już na wstępie podaje, że jest Żydem, ale od razu dodaje, że także Francuzem. Do faktu posiadania obywatelstwa dołącza informację, że jest weteranem i że z tego tytułu otrzymuje rentę.

Odpowiedź komisarza policji kierującego obozem dla internowanych w Drancy, podlegającemu bezpośrednio Aloisowi Brunnerowi, do dyrektora generalnego policji jest zwięzła:

„Niniejszym zwracam list p. Laska, zamieszkałego pod nr 62, rue des Panoyaux, Paris 20e, który mi Pan przekazał. Uprzejmie informuję, że rodzina GRAUDENS została deportowana w dniu 17/08/ 1942 ”.

Siostrzeńcy Isachera Laska, Albert Graudens urodzony 29 listopada 1926 r. i Georges Graudens, urodzony 26 czerwca 1933 r. w Paryżu, mieszkali pod nr 18, rue de Belleville. Zostali aresztowani wraz z rodzicami podczas obławy Vel d’Hiv 17 lipca 1942 r. i deportowani do obozu Pithiviers. Czworo członków rodziny zostało wysłanych do Auschwitz w oddzielnych transportach.

Trafienie na ślad tej rodziny było bardzo trudne, ponieważ pisownia ich nazwiska różni się w zależności od źródeł: Grandans / Grodens / Gramdans / Graudens / Grandens, a nawet Granoams …

Szymon/Simon Grandans/Grodens, urodzony w 1901 r. w Dobrej/Kaliszu w Polsce został deportowany z obozu Pithiviers/Beaune la Rolande do obozu koncentracyjnego Auschwitz 30/31 lipca 1942 r. Szymon zmarł w Auschwitz 5 listopada 1942 r., oficjalnie na zapalenie płuc.

Frimet/Frejmet Gramdans / Grandans, urodzona w Radomskiej w Polsce w 1904 r., została deportowana z Pithiviers / Beaune la Rolande 2 sierpnia 1942 r. Po przyjeździe do Auschwitz ślad po niej ginie. Najprawdopodobniej została zagazowana od razu po przyjeździe do obozu.

Georges, urodzony 26 marca 1933 r. w Paryżu, został deportowany do Auschwitz 17 sierpnia 1942 r. w transporcie nr 20 składającym się prawie wyłącznie z dzieci. Wszystkie zostały zamordowane od razu po przyjeździe.

Albert, urodzony 29 listopada 1926 r. w Paryżu został deportowany do Auschwitz w transporcie nr 23 w dniu 24/08/1942 r. Miał 16 lat. Prawodpodobnie został zamordowany od razu po przyjeździe, bo nie zostawił żadnych śladów w archiwach.

W 1943 roku Robert miał 19 lat. W dniu urodzin zrobiono mu zdjęcie. Jest elegancki, ma na sobie marynarkę, koszulę i krawat. Wygląda jak dorosły. Jest dobrze uczesany i ma uśmiechniętą twarz. Fotografia ma z tyłu dedykację: „Z wyrazami szczerej przyjaźni z okazji moich 19 urodzin R. Lask” [13].

6 czerwca 1944 r. alianci lądują w Normandii. Rozpoczyna się wyzwalanie terytorium Francji.

O okolicznościach aresztowania rodziny Lask opowiedział nam p. Koplewicz, który słyszał o tym od swojej matki.

Na początku lipca 1944 r., kiedy oddziały alianckie maszerowały na Paryż, obaj chłopcy byli na spacerze (z okazji urodzin Josepha 5 lipca?). Zostają zatrzymani przez policję francuską, która przesłuchuje ich i zdobywa ich adres. Pozostaje wysłać patrol po Isachera i Chanę.

Laskowie docierają do Drancy 6 lipca 1944 r. Zostają zarejestrowani zaraz po przyjeździe [14], zakłada się im karty. Stwierdzono, że są Francuzami, nie objęło ich zatem prawo z 22 lipca 1940 r., odbierające obywatelstwo francuskie przyznane od 1927 r., wskutek czego bezpaństwowcami zostało ponad 15 tysięcy osób.

W latach 30. w Drancy powstało osiedle cité de la Muette oraz pięć wież przeznaczonych na mieszkania kwaterunkowe o niższym czynszu. Budynki te, wciąż w budowie w 1941 r., wykorzystano do zorganizowania obozu w Drancy, od tego momentu zwanego żydowskim Drancy. Deportowani zajęli budynek w kształcie litery U, podczas gdy niemieckich oficerów zakwaterowano w pięciu wieżach, tak wysokich, że w tamtych czasach robiły duże wrażenie. To tam rodzina Lasków spędzi ostatnie trzy tygodnie życia na francuskiej ziemi.

W dniu przyjazdu do Drancy 6 lipca 1944 r. Isacher zostawia w depozycie kwotę 192 Frs. Przedstawia się jako hutnik. Minimalne wynagrodzenie w tym zawodzie wynosi 1100 F miesięcznie, zdeponowana kwota była więc śmiesznie niska. Do czerwca 1943 r. kasjer Maurice Kiffer zarejestrował 7050 wpłat od osób internowanych w Drancy. Kwoty sięgały nawet 50000 F. Możemy więc stwierdzić, że kwota zdeponowana przez Lasków plasowała się poniżej średniej sum przywożonych do Drancy, nawet jeśli daty wniesionych wpłat nie są takie same (Laskowie przyjechali w lipcu 1944 r., a zarejestrowane wpłaty pochodzą z 1943 r.). Jeśli porównamy te kwoty z najniższymi zarobkami w różnych branżach we Francji, zobaczymy, że Laskowie nie zdążyli się przygotować i że z pewnością opuścili dom nagle, nie mając czasu na zabranie większej sumy, jeśli w ogóle ją posiadali…

Ta suma zostanie po wojnie zwrócona ich kuzynowi, którego tożsamości nie znamy.

31 lipca, po ostatnim apelu, Isacher, Chana i chłopcy wsiedli do autobusu Compagnie du métropolitain parisien, przedsiębiorstwa zarządzającego paryskim metrem, który zawiózł ich na dworzec w Bobigny, skąd – zamiast z dworca Bourget – od lipca 1943 r. wyruszały transporty do Polski. Zeznania osób deportowanych w transporcie nr 77, które przeżyły wojnę, dają dość dokładne wyobrażenie o atmosferze w momencie wyjazdu: „Kiedy autobus ruszył, zaintonowaliśmy „Ce n’est qu’un au revoir mes freres (Do widzenia, bracia)” (…). W drodze przez Drancy śpiewaliśmy, a raczej wywrzaskiwaliśmy Marsyliankę. Dojeżdżając do stacji Bobigny, zobaczyliśmy duży pociąg towarowy na pustym torze […] kazano nam wyssiąść z autobusów i natychmiast wsiadać do wagonów. Ledwo znaleźliśmy się w środku, Niemcy zaryglowali drzwi. W naszym wagonie było nas około sześćdziesięciu [15] ”. Te cenne relacje informują nas również o warunkach transportu. Do ciasnoty dochodził upał panujący latem 1944 i brak powietrza: „sześćdziesięciu ludzi w wagonie z jednym wiadrem. Rozdano nam chleb, ale prawie nic do picia. Było strasznie gorąco”[16], „W południe pociąg ruszył […] dzieciom było gorąco, chciały pić, brakowało powietrza[17]. “

Po przybyciu doAuschwitz, Laskowie zostali rozdzieleni:

Isacher i Chana nie przeszli selekcji po opuszczeniu pociągu i zostali od razu zagazowani. W archiwum Auschwitz nie pozostawili żadnego śladu, a opublikowane w Dzienniku Urzędowym daty ich śmierci (05.08.1944) następują po przyjeździe do obozu. Joseph i Robert zostali skierowani do obozu koncentracyjnego Birkenau [18]. Z ulgą stwierdziliśmy, że otrzymali następujące po sobie numery, co oznacza, że ​​nie zostali rozdzieleni (B3834 i B3835). Numery te wytatuowano na lewym przedramieniu.

28 października 1944 r. Józef został przeniesiony do obozu Stutthof, a tym samym rozdzielony z bratem. Został zarejestrowany pod nowym numerem obozowym: 0419. Pierwotnie obóz Stutthof był cywilnym obozem internowania w pobliżu Gdańska. Był to bardzo duży obóz koncentracyjny, obejmujący około 105 podobozów.

Joseph umiera w obozie 2 stycznia 1945 r. W akcie zgonu sporządzonym przez władze sanitarne stwierdzono, że śmierć nastąpiła o 6:55. Joseph nie brał więc udziału w marszach śmierci i licznych ewakuacjach, które nastąpiły niedługo potem. Oficjalna dokumentacja „medyczna” sporządzona przez nazistowską administrację obozu Stuthoff zawiera stwierdzenie, że Joseph zmarł wskutek „choroby sercowo-naczyniowej” i że był w stanie „ogólnego fizycznego osłabienia”. Lekarz obozowy potwierdził śmierć naturalną i wydał polecenie spalenia ciała. 3 stycznia 1945 r. zwłoki Josepha zostały skremowane. Te informacje „medyczne” należy rzecz jasna traktować z wielką ostrożnością. Pozwalają nam jednak ustalić, że data i miejsce śmierci, podane w publikacji Mémorial de la déportation des Juifs de France i opublikowane w Dzienniku Urzędowym (8 maja 1945 r. Theresienstadt/Terezin) są błędne. Joseph miał 16 lat.

W styczniu Himmler wydał rozkaz całkowitej ewakuacji wszystkich obozów. 7 do 800 tysięcy więźniów zostanie wygnanych na drogi. Około 250 tysięcy z nich umiera z wycieńczenia w czasie marszów śmierci lub zostaje zabitych po drodze. 18 stycznia ma miejsce ostatni apel w Auschwitz. Kilka tysięcy więźniów (50 tysięcy?) wyrusza w drogę w kierunku zachodnim. Niektórzy część podróży spędzają w otwartych wagonach, inni idą piechotą. Śmiertelność jest przerażająca. Temperatura osiąga nawet 25 stopni poniżej zera. Nie przewidziano żadnych racji żywnościowych. Celem Niemców jest przetransportowanie więźniów do Ravensbrück, Dory, Bergen-Belsen…

Robert dociera do Buchenwaldu 23 stycznia 1945 r. Zostaje zarejestrowany pod numerem 120150. 9 lutego, po kilku dniach w „małym obozie”, zostaje przeniesiony do komanda Malachit w Langenstein-Zwieberge, niedaleko Halberstadt. To komando jest jednym z wielu podobozów Buchenwaldu. Więźniowie produkują tam broń w podziemnej fabryce. Robert zostaje przydzielony do bloku 14. 16 lutego zostaje przyjęty do szpitala obozowego. Umiera nazajutrz, oficjalnie na zapalenie płuc. Ma 21 lat.

[1] Relacja Eugeni Magdiarz w The Last Eywitnesses: Children of the Holocaust Speak (Jewish Lives : Urodziłam się we wsi Dobromierz, która była częścią gminy żydowskiej w Przedborzu. W tym miasteczku mieszkali rodzice mojej matki, Michal i Rajzla Koplewicz”.

[2] Feuillet modele n°5. Archiwum legii Cudzoziemskiej, Aubagne.

[3] Po rozbiorach pod koniec XVIII w. i podziale po 1815 r.

[4] Fiche matricule 1938, Archives départementales de Paris

[5]SHD, Division des Archives des Victimes des Conflits Contemporains

[6] Archives Nationales, décrets de naturalisation n° 8571-34 du 03/08/1934 et 8575-34 du 03/08/1934

[7] Archiwa departamentalne Paryża

[8] Archives Nationales AJ/38/2021, dossier 7153
[9] W listach adresowanych do Komisariatu ds. żydowskich w październiku 1943 r., tymczasowy administrator wyznaczony do aryzacji przedsiębiorstwa informuje, że przedmiotem działaności była „sprzedaż bielizny i materiałów w mieszkaniu”, co daje nam dokładniejszy obraz sytuacji.
[10] Archives Nationales
[11] Mémorial de la Shoah, dar p.Koplewicza
[12] Archives de la préfecture de police (Archiwum prefektury policji)
[13] Mémorial de la Shoah, dar p.Koplewicza
[14] Archives Nationales (Archiwum Narodowe)
[15] Relacja Charlotte Schapiry
[16] Relacja Régine Skorki-Jacubert
[17] Relacja Denise Holdstein
[18] Archiwum Bad Arolsen


Nathalie MENORET et sa classe de 3e1 du Lycée Lakanal de Sceaux

Reproduction of text and images

Any reproduction of a biography, even in part, must be approved in advance and in writing by the Convoy 77 association. To request permission, please fill in the form here: Form
If you wish to use any image from the French Defense Historical Service (SHD), please go to their online request page “Request a duplication”.


Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


hébergement Umazuma - OVH

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?