1895 - 1944 | Naissance: | Arrestation: | Résidence:

Abram ZEJGMAN was born in Radom, Poland in the voivodeship of Mazowieckie on April 22, 1895. His father, Gershon Zejgman, a merchant by profession, was born on March 24, 1857 at Kazemierz Dolny, and his mother, Soura née Vanlougerl, was born on September 8, 1856 a Białobrzegi. Abram was the fifth of six children.
David, the eldest, was born on March 15, 1880, followed by Israël in 1884, Zycio in 1890, Nekha Liba in 1892, and Chana Laya on April 27, 1898.
The Zejgman family lived in Radom, where the children married.  David had four children, Israël and his wife Chana née Najtarnik ( ?) had eight, Zycio and his wife Chaya (?) three. All the family except David lived together in a single house in Radom.
In 1920 Abram was 25 years old. Nothing is known about his education. He probably spoke only Polish and Yiddish, but he decided to leave Radom and Poland with a friend, no doubt to go out and see the world. Shortly before his departure he met Mirla Gal at a marriage in Lodz; she was sixteen, and they corresponded during the two friends’ journey.
The first leg of the trip took them to Budapest, where they participated in the anti-Fascist flash action with the local workers’ movements. They were arrested in Budapest, jailed, then freed and expelled. The two friends then left for Paris, where they doubtless arrived in 1920. No one knows what became of Abram’s friend.
Abram settled on the Boulevard de la Villette in the Belleville neighborhood, where he lived in a one-room flat, earning his living cutting leather in a shoe factory.
Mirla, who came from a family of small businessmen in Lodz and had a ninth-grade education, decided at the age of 18 to join Abram in Paris. They got married (?) in a religious ceremony, probably in a little Belleville synagogue. They had a daughter Rosa in 1925, followed by Georges in April, 1927, born in the open ward of the Hôpital Saint Louis. After the delivery a Frenchwoman in the next bed heard Mirla’s story and, learning that she was not legally married in a civil union, retorted, “He’s gonna drop ya!”
After she got out of the hospital her two-year-old daughter Rosa died of unknown causes. Mirla, unable to forget the anecdote that occurred in the hospital, got Abram to marry her before the mayor of the 10th district.
In 1926 was created the French Mutual Aid Society of the Friends of Radom, one of the most important Jewish mutual aid associations of the time. A pre-war photo taken around 1927 of an association banquet shows a large crowd.
Charles was born in 1929 (to be verified), but died two years later (from what cause ?)
Simon was born on March 9, 1931 in Paris, probably at the Hôpital Rothschild.
Abram and Mirla became French citizens on May 4, 1934 (cf. photos)
Cécile was born on November 7, 1937 in the same hospital.
As their family grew, Abram and Mirla moved after the birth of their first child from their single room on the 7th floor to a ground-floor apartment in the same building. There they had running water, gas, and a toilet in the courtyard.
After war was declared in 1939 Abram volunteered for the army. His daughter Renée has a photo of him in 1939 in a military uniform with a forage cap on which has been sewn a cloth triangle bearing the number 22. (Could it be for the 22nd battalion of the Chasseurs Alpins? Other snapshots in mountain scenery suggest that possibility.)
Abram was soon demobilized as the head of a family.
In 1941, probably toward summer, Abram left for Lyon in the Free Zone, where he joined up with some “friends of Radom” ; notably Monsieur Weisberg, with whom he lived for several months, up to the arrival of Weisberg’s wife and daughter.  Meanwhile, his elder son Georges joined him clandestinely after a detour via Bordeaux in order to get across the demarcation line. (To accomplish this he had tied up with a small group that had put itself in the hands of a crooked smuggler who led them around to their starting point; however, the next night they got across the line.) Abram got a job as a leather cutter for shoes and continued thus to earn his family’s living.
In 1942, alerted by the roundups that had already started in Paris, Mirla took 9-year-old Simon and 5-year-old Cécile and crossed the Loire and then the demarcation line by wading across the River Cher with great difficulty.
The family was reunited in an apartment on the second floor of a building belonging to Madame Papillon at n° 2 rue Bournes in the Croix-Rousse neighborhood of Lyon’s 4th district. Although this landlady had a large family and was a supporter of Marshal Pétain’s Vichy government, she was willing to rent to Jews and cause them no harm. During their residence there Abram and Mirla secretly lodged foreign Jews with no papers.
Abram and Mirla were friends with a certain Monsieur Collier, who happened to be a police commissioner in Lyon. Out of friendship for them he furnished Abram and his son Georges (who at age 15 needed his own personal papers) with false genuine identity papers.
At Easter in 1943 Simon, who was 12, and 16 year-old Georges took the train to Aix-les-Bains to visit some friends. In their luggage there was a package of unleavened bread wrapped in newspaper. Georges was reading a book in English when the Germans came through to check passports; they noticed the book in English and asked for his papers. Georges presented his student’s card and got by without being searched.
While traveling on another occasion Georges left his real fake I.D. at the ticket window, and Monsieur Collier recuperated it after reading an announcement in the newspaper that young Georges XXXX (the name on the forged I.D. card is not known) had lost his card.
In August, 1943 Mirla, seven and a half months pregnant, took the train to leave Cécile in Aix-les-Bains. They were arrested by the Gestapo, and taken to the Terminus Hotel at the Perrache station. Mirla was stripped and interrogated for 24 hours in those premises. An old German soldier passed by, saw 6-year-old Cécile with her blond hair and big green eyes, and said to the other Gestapo agents, “What do want with them? That’s not the woman we’re looking for. Let her go”.
The Germans put Mirla and Cécile in a car to take them back to the Croix-Rousse, but there was a long way to go and Mirla, knowing there were people hiding in the apartment, asked to be let out with Cécile on a street in the vicinity, which they were. Panic-stricken, Mirla had great trouble finding the way home. A few days later she soundlessly gave birth to Renée at one o’clock a.m. on August 26th.
Georges went to declare her birth at the town hall under her true name of Renée Zejgman.
Abram continued to work, and Mirla was extremely anxious. On July 4, 1944 Abram was arrested by the French militia after being turned in (no one knows why) on the tram platform. He was interned in the Jews’ barracks in Montluc prison, and transferred on July 21st to Drancy.
Right after his arrest a friend who had witnessed the scene had Mirla warned at home, so that she could disperse the family and hide herself. Mirla took Georges with her to the Montluc prison in a vain attempt to get Abram out.
Simon was taken in by a family of friends in Décines, Cécile was placed in a Catholic convent, and Renée with a nurse.
Abram left on July 31, 1944 in convoy n° 77.
No news of Abram at the Lutetia hotel, until a survivor of the convoy, the name of whom was not recorded, rang the bell of the house, to tell his wife what he saw during the transport, and which was later reported in books written by other survivors.
The last echo his daughter Renée has had of him was written by Jérôme Scorin (cf. his biography under the name Jérôme SKORKA) in his book, “Itinéraire d’un enfant juif de 1939 à 1945”  –The Itinerary of a Jewish Child from 1939 to 1945 – page 128:)
…During a train stop Jérôme was designated to go draw some water…”I turned around to go back to my car and was stupefied by what I saw: More than 60 men, entirely naked, chained to each other, were being taken under close guard to the last car of the convoy. They were almost all natives of North Africa who had been caught in an attempt to escape; they had been the cause of the previous night’s inspections; we never saw them again”.
Of the six children of the Zejgman family from Radom, Israël and his sister Chana Laya survived and immigrated to New York.
Abram’s wife and his four children, among whom his daughter Renée, author of this biography, survived.[:pl]Abram ZEJGMAN urodził się 22 kwietnia 1895 roku w Radomiu, w województwie mazowieckim. Jego ojciec, Gershon Zeigman urodził się 24 marca 1857 roku w Kazimierzu Dolnym, był z zawodu kupcem, matka, Soura z domu Vanlouguerl, urodziła się 8 września 1856 roku w Białobrzegach. Abram był piątym z sześciu rodzeństwa.
Najstarszy, Dawid, urodził się 15 marca 1880 r., następnie urodzili się Izrael w 1884 r., Zycio w 1890 r., Nekha Liba w 1892 r. i Chana Laja 27 kwietnia 1898 r.

Rodzina Zejgmanów mieszkała w Radomiu, gdzie dzieci założyły rodziny. David miał czworo dzieci, Izrael osiem z Chaną z domu Naftarnik (?), Zycio trzy z Chają (?). Rodzina, z wyjątkiem Dawida, mieszkała we wspólnym domu w Radomiu.

W 1920 roku Abram miał 25 lat, nie wiemy nic o jego wykształceniu i nauce, jego jedynymi językami były zapewne polski i jidysz. Postanowił opuścić wraz z przyjacielem Radom i Polskę, prawdopodobnie po to, by poznać świat. Tuż przed wyjazdem poznał na weselu w Łodzi 16-letnią Mirlę Gal i prowadził z nią korespondencję podczas podróży z przyjacielem.
Pierwszym etapem tej podróży był Budapeszt, gdzie wraz z lokalnymi ruchami robotniczymi przeprowadzili „uderzenie” przeciwko faszystom. Zostali aresztowani w Budapeszcie, zatrzymani i deportowani po zwolnieniu. Następnie obaj przyjaciele wyjechali do Paryża, gdzie prawdopodobnie przybyli w 1920 roku. Nie wiadomo, co stało się z przyjacielem Abrama.
Abram osiadł przy Boulevard de la Villette w Belleville, gdzie mieszkał w jednopokojowym mieszkaniu i zarabiał na życie jako wykrawacz skór w fabryce obuwia.
Mirla, która uczyła się aż do małej matury i pochodziła z łódzkiej rodziny drobnych przedsiębiorców, w wieku 18 lat postanowiła dołączyć do Abrama w Paryżu. Zawarli żydowski ślub (?), prawdopodobnie w małej synagodze w Belleville. W 1925 r. Abramowi i Mirli urodziła się mała Rosa, następnie na sali zbiorowej szpitala św. Ludwika w kwietniu 1927 roku urodził się Georges. Po urodzeniu dziecka, leżąca na sąsiednim łóżku szpitalnym Francuzka, słysząc historię Mirli i dowiadując się, że nie ma ślubu cywilnego rzuciła jej: „Zostawi cię !”.
Po wyjściu ze szpitala, jej najstarsza córka Rosa umarła w wieku dwóch lat (przyczyna nieznana). Mirla, nie zapominając o historii ze św. Ludwika, wymogła na Abramie zawarcie ślubu przed merem 10 dzielnicy Paryża.
Według informacji Renée, w 1926 roku powstało francuskie stowarzyszenie pomocy wzajemnej przyjaciół Radomia, które było jednym z najważniejszych żydowskich towarzystw wzajemnej pomocy w tym czasie. Przedwojenne zdjęcie bankietu tego stowarzyszenia, zrobione około 1927 roku, pokazuje liczne zgromadzenie.
Charles urodził się w 1929 roku (do sprawdzenia), ale zmarł dwa lata później (przyczyna?).
Simon urodził się 9 marca 1931 roku w Paryżu, prawdopodobnie w szpitalu Rotschilda.
Abram i Mirla uzyskali obywatelstwo francuskie 4 maja 1934 r. (patrz zdjęcia).
Cécile urodziła się 7 listopada 1937 roku w tym samym szpitalu.
Wraz z powiększeniem się rodziny, już po narodzinach pierwszego dziecka, Abram i Mirla wyprowadzili się ze wspólnego pokoju na 6 piętrze do mieszkania na parterze z widokiem na podwórko w tym samym budynku. Była tam bieżąca woda, gaz i toalety na podwórku.
W 1939 roku, po ogłoszeniu wojny, Abram zgłosił się na ochotnika. Jego córka Renée posiada jego zdjęcie z 1939 roku, w stroju wojskowym, w czapce, na której naszyty jest trójkąt z tkaniny oznaczony numerem 22 (czy to 22 Batalion Strzelców Alpejskich ? Inne zdjęcia w górskiej scenerii mogą to sugerować).
Abram jako obarczony rodziną został szybko zdemobilizowany.
W 1941 r., prawdopodobnie około lata, Abram wyjechał do Lyonu, znajdującego się w wolnej strefie, gdzie dołączył do „przyjaciół Radomia”, w szczególności pana Weisberga, z którym będzie przebywał przez kilka miesięcy, aż do przyjazdu żony i córki tego ostatniego. W międzyczasie najstarszy syn Georges dołączył do niego potajemnie, okrężną trasą przez Bordeaux, aby przekroczyć linię demarkacyjną (w tym celu dołączył do małej grupy, która zaufała nieuczciwemu przemytnikowi, który zaprowadził ją z powrotem do punktu wyjścia – ale następnej nocy udało mu się przekroczyć linię). Abram znalazł pracę przy wykrawaniu butów i nadal zarabiał w ten sposób na życie rodziny.
W 1942 roku, zaalarmowana przez rozpoczynające się już w Paryżu łapanki, Mirla z 9-letnim Simonem i 5-letnią Cécile przekroczyła Loarę i linię demarkacyjną, z wielkim trudem przechodząc w bród rzekę Cher.
Rodzina zamieszkała razem w mieszkaniu na pierwszym piętrze domu należącego do pani Papillon, 2 rue Bournes, Lyon 4, w dzielnicy Croix-Rousse. Właścicielka miała dużą rodzinę i była pétainistką, ale zgodziła się wynajmować Żydom, nie wyrządzając im żadnej krzywdy. Podczas swojego pobytu Abram i Mirla nielegalnie kwaterowali Żydów z zagranicy bez papierów.
Abram i Mirla przyjaźnili się z panem Collierem, który był komisarzem policji w Lyonie. Z przyjaźni do nich wyrobił fałszywe papiery dla Abrama i jego syna Georgesa (w wieku 15 lat musiał mieć osobiste dokumenty).
W czasie Paschy 1943 roku 12-letni Simon i 16-letni Georges pojechali pociągiem do Aix-les-Bains, aby odwiedzić przyjaciół. Mieli w bagażu paczkę macy, zawiniętą w gazetę, a Georges czytał książkę po angielsku, gdy pojawili się Niemcy, aby skontrolować pasażerów; zauważyli książkę po angielsku i zażądali papierów, Georges pokazał im swoją legitymację szkolną i udało się uniknąć przeszukania.
Przy innej okazji, podczas podróży, Georges zapomniał swojej podrobionej legitymacji przy kasie biletowej i pan Collier odzyskał ją po zobaczeniu ogłoszenia w gazecie, że młody Georges XXXX (nazwisko na podrobionym dokumencie tożsamości nie jest nam znane) zgubił swoją legitymację.
W sierpniu 1943 roku, kiedy Mirla była w połowie ósmego miesiąca ciąży, wsiadła do pociągu z Cécile, aby odwieźć ją do Aix-les-Bains. Zostały aresztowane przez Gestapo, zabrane do Hotelu Terminus na dworcu Perrache, Mirla została rozebrana do naga i była przesłuchiwana przez 24 godziny. Pojawił się tam stary niemiecki żołnierz, zobaczył Cécile, sześciolatkę z blond włosami i dużymi zielonymi oczami i powiedział gestapowcom: „czego od nich chcecie, to nie jest kobieta, której szukamy, puśćcie ją”.
Niemcy wsadzili Mirlę i Cécile do samochodu, aby odwieźć je do dzielnicy Croix-Rousse, ale droga była długa i Mirla, wiedząc, że w mieszkaniu są nielegalni Żydzi, poprosiła o wypuszczenie jej z Cécile na pobliskiej ulicy. Mirla, bardzo przestraszona, z trudem znalazła drogę do domu. Kilka dni później, 26 sierpnia o pierwszej w nocy, urodziła w zupełnej ciszy Renée.
Georges poszedł do ratusza, aby zgłosić ją pod prawdziwym nazwiskiem Renée Zejgman.
Abram nadal pracował, a Mirla była bardzo niespokojna. W dniu 4 lipca 1944 r. Abram został aresztowany na przystanku tramwajowym na skutek donosu (motyw pozostaje nieznany) przez francuską milicję. Został internowany w więzieniu Montluc w żydowskim baraku, a 21 lipca przewieziony do Drancy.
Zaraz po jego aresztowaniu przyjaciel, który widział tę scenę, ostrzegł Mirlę w jej domu, aby rodzina się rozproszyła i ukryła. Mirla zabrała ze sobą Georgesa i pojechała do więzienia Montluc, by spróbować wydostać Abrama, lecz bez skutku.
Simon zostanie umieszczony w Décines u przyjaciół rodziny, Cécile w klasztorze sióstr zakonnych, zaś Renée z nianią.
Abram pojechał 31 lipca 1944 r. w transporcie nr 77.
Kiedy deportowani wrócili, nie było żadnych wieści o Abramie. Pewnego dnia jednak deportowany z tego transportu, którego nazwiska nie odnotowano, zadzwonił do drzwi, aby powiedzieć żonie, że widział Abrama nagiego i zakutego w łańcuchy podczas transportu, a następnie po przybyciu wysłanego bezpośrednio do komory gazowej.
Ostatnie wieści, jakie otrzyma o nim jego córka Renée, zostały zapisane przez Jerome’a Scorina (patrz jego biografia pod nazwiskiem Jerome SKORKA) w książce „Droga żydowskiego dziecka od 1939 do 1945 r.”, na stronie 128:
…W momencie zatrzymania pociągu, Jerome jest wyznaczony do czerpania wody. “Odwracam się, aby wrócić do mojego wagonu, poraża mnie stojący przede mną widok: ponad 60 zupełnie nagich mężczyzn, skutych ze sobą łańcuchami, zostaje zaprowadzonych pod strażą do ostatniego wagonu transportu. Prawie wszyscy są z Afryki Północnej, schwytani podczas próby ucieczki, to oni byli przyczyną kontroli poprzedniej nocy, nigdy więcej ich nie widzieliśmy”.
Spośród sześciorga dzieci Zeigmanów z Radomia tylko Izrael i jego siostra Chana Laya przeżyli wojnę, wyemigrowali i osiedlili się w Nowym Jorku.
Z jego własnej rodziny żona i czwórka dzieci przeżyli wojnę, w tym jego córka Renée, autorka niniejszej biografii.


Renée Fauguet Zejgman, dernière fille d'Abram, prise de notes par Serge Jacubert


  • Photos de famille fournies par Renée Fauguet Zejgman

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


hébergement Umazuma - OVH

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?