1914 - 1944 | Naissance: , | Arrestation: , | Résidence: , , , , ,

Biography of Golda KlLEJMAN née HERCBERG, called Genia

January 14, 1914 (Lodz, Poland) –  August 5, 1944 (Auschwitz, Poland).
Arrested in July, 1943, interned at Drancy, then in the satellite camp on the rue de Bassano in the 16th district of Paris1.
My grandmother Golda was born in a middle-class Jewish family in Lodz (Poland). Her father was a musician. She played the piano with a certain talent. There is little information on her family, but she had several sisters and brothers. At least one of her brothers2 owned a movie theater (the Syrena on Aleksandrowska Street), where Golda sometimes worked at the ticket window. He may have had several of them, and they could have been itinerant.
Golda didn’t like her first name and exchanged it with one of her sisters3. She was thus known by the diminutive Genia, the name she used for her resistance activities in the UJRE group (Union of Jews for Resistance and Mutual Aid) (or MOI: Immigrant WorkForce), according to the resistance fighter and historian David Diamant4, who knew her personally and remembered her vividly5.
Genia arrived in Paris in May, 1937 to work in the Polish booth at the World Exhibition. There she met Szmul Klejman (called Simon), an attractive Polish Jew who had come a few years earlier from the small town of Piotrkow, near Lodz and who worked in the clothing industry. Having fallen in love, she decided to stay in France. As both of them lacked papers, they couldn’t marry legally. Although neither was a practitioner or even a believer, they decided to formalize their union before a rabbi, most probably in February-March, 1938. Soon after that Genia was pregnant and the couple decided to go to Brussels, where Simon had relatives. Their son Edward was born there at the end of December, 1938. They remained until the invasion of Belgium.
Right at the start of the war Simon, like many Jews at the time, enlisted in the French Foreign Legion. He enlisted under the name of Cleman, which he asked to preserve after the Liberation6. Genia stayed in Paris with their baby. She lived at different locations, notably on the rue Barbette7 before moving to 4 rue de Varize in the 16th district, where one of Simon’s uncles, Nathan Klejman, was living. The soldier Szmul Cleman was taken prisoner and sent to the «Markt Pongau» stalag XVIII C. Certainly thanks to her contacts with political activists that obtained « papers » (an official marriage certificate?) for her, Genia/Golda was protected as the wife of a French war prisoner under the name of Klejman8… until July, 1944.
I have no information on her political activity in Poland, but according to David Diamant Genia was already active along with him in Paris before her departure for Belgium in 1938: “I can still see Genia, of medium height, lively and energetic, accomplishing all the tasks I gave her, for she was an activist in my sector before the war.”9 She worked with him in the charity organization Secours Populaire10. Her husband, my grandfather, who survived the war and remained a Socialist to the end of his life, told me nothing on the subject; I deduce, perhaps wrongly, that she became politically conscious in France, where she came in contact with the workplace, a world to which she  had not been directly exposed in Poland. She was probably a Communist and quickly joined the Resistance as soon as the war began, in the network known as the “réseau de la casquette”11 under the auspices of the UJRE.
Like most of those around her she worked in the clothing industry, doubtless before the war and most certainly in 1939 and 1940, since, again according to David Diamant, “she worked in a large clothing factory where she succeeded in organizing clandestine unions among the French female workers. She distributed tracts to the women working in her sector.” Given the quality of some of the clothing she made for herself at the time and that I have inherited, she was an excellent seamstress.
I learned from my father, who was quite young when it took place, that she was arrested a first time and sent to Drancy. One of her friends kept her son, but she asked her to bring him to her12. Her status as the wife of a French prisoner of war got her released. She came back with her son to live in the apartment at 4 rue de Varize, Paris 16e, without ceasing her clandestine activities. Just what did these consist of? All I know is what David Diamant has told me13: “She distributed tracts among the workers, organized union actions and was very popular with her fellow workers. Genia worked simultaneously in the Jewish union group. Meetings of the Jewish Interunion Commission were held in her flat, in which plans for the struggle against the occupier were worked out.”14 A friend and neighbor of hers, Isabelle Izikowieff, who was my “babushka”, told me that Genia had warned her several times of roundups that were going to take place, thus protecting her and her two children. Genia therefore had access to precise information, but that did not prevent her from being arrested again. “Genia was arrested in July, 1943 and sent to Drancy, where she helped to organize prisoner solidarity inside the camp. She was in touch with the direction of the outside clandestine organization.ˮ15 But this time her status as the wife of a French prisoner of war gave her only partial protection. She was sent to one of Drancy’s satellite camps in Paris at 2 rue de Bassano, a small camp (sixty prisoners) that since March, 1944 brought together French Jews, the Jewish wives of war prisoners, Jewish spouses of “Aryans”, and “half-Jews”16. In this camp she worked making garments for a large fashion house. What I know was told me by two friends she made in this tiny camp: Georges and René Geissmann, two brothers who were Parisian industrialists and businessmen from Belfort, arrested in the big Marseille roundup17. As she was working for the Paquin fashion house, she was allowed to go out into town. To keep her from escaping she was warned by the camp authorities that should she fail to come back, they would deport her two friends. She always came back.
By some means or other (I wasn’t lucky enough to meet my grandmother’s two friends, who died before I was born.) Genia had been able to get her son into the camp. Other children lived in the attic of this private mansion in the 16th district confiscated from the Cahen family of Antwerp. Edward, however, was not officially registered. He was “hidden” inside the camp, but still played with the other children, and even with a young German soldier and his (also) German shepherd. Whenever “officials” came to inspect he would be hidden beneath a pile of cloth under a cutting table. One day in June Renée Primorin, Georges Geissmann’s wife, who was not Jewish, came to visit her and left holding Edward by the hand, accompanied to the gate by the same German soldier, who wished her good luck. Genia had entrusted her son to her, sure that they would soon be reunited. Her two friends had promised to take care of her and the child after the liberation, which was at hand. A few weeks later the Germans called out several people to take them to Drancy. A woman on the list protested. She had arrived after Genia; it wasn’t fair for her to have to leave first. Thus, they both were taken. That woman’s name was, of course, familiar to the Geissmann brothers, but it hasn’t come down to me. Convoy 77 left Drancy on July 31, 1944. It carried 1321 deportees, including 300 children and a new-born infant18. I dare hope that Genia was consoled by the knowledge that her son “Eddy” was not among them. All the children officially kept in the center on the rue de Bassano were deported. Eddy fled south with his new “momma” and witnessed the landing on the Mediterranean coast on August 15th. He saw the plane pilots Renée nursed. He observed the villagers who refused to put up Renée, her old mother, and her sons for fear of reprisal if the Germans should return.  And he experienced the joy of the Liberation. The Geissmann brothers were brought back to the camp at Drancy on August 5th with other surviving detainees of the rue Bassano. Aloïs Brunner had not had time to send them off in one last convoy he had hoped to expedite to Poland. They were liberated at Drancy on August 18 and went back to settle again in Marseille, where they had lived before the war.
Why was Genia, a thirty-year-old woman in relatively good health and apt for work, not shunted toward the work camps instead of the gas chambers? The official documents stipulate that she was gassed on arrival. As defeat approached, the Nazis were liquidating as many deportees as possible. For a long time my father tried to believe that the convoy had been prevented by allied bombing from getting to its destination. Her father Simon, back from the prisoner camp in Germany, went to the Lutétia Hotel every day for weeks to read the notices and search out witnesses. Then he went to Poland to sift through the transit camps. He found out nothing about Genia, but he did find the youngest of the Klejman brothers, an Auschwitz survivor. It took them months to get back to Paris. They were the only survivors of Simon’s family. Edward, my father, stayed with the Geissmann family, made up of Georges, his wife Renée, and their sons, François and Maurice. Although he had no memory of Simon, who had left to fight in 1939, he saw him regularly when the Geissmann family came to settle in Boulogne. Simon never remarried, claiming he was waiting for his wife’s return. He gave me clothes and some objects he had somehow recuperated. Genia’s flat had been looted and occupied by a family. He took a small room in the same building, to wait. Finally he moved into an apartment next to his brother’s in Levallois-Perret. They lived side by side until Simon’s death. It is in that little apartment that I wrote my history thesis.
David Diamant, Combattants, héros et martyrs de la Résistance : biographies, last letters, testimony and documents, Messidor, 22 mars 1984, FeniXX digital reedition (Pneumathèque) (1 janvier 1984).
The first edition of this book came out in 1962.
[1] This is an attempt to write a biography from scattered documents and rare family memories. More research is under way to try to bring to light other information the archives may contain.
[2] One of her brothers, Solomon (Shoem) Hercberg, played an extremely unpleasant role in the Lodz ghetto that fortunately ( !) Genia never heard about. He took command of the prison and was convicted of corruption. He, his wife, and their two children, as well as his mother-in-law were deported.
[3] Interview in 1985 by Laurence Klejman with Ida Ravanel, née Klejman, Simon’s cousin and Nathan’s daughter.
[4] David Diamant, born David Erlich at Hrubieszow, in Poland, on March 18, 1904, deceased in France in 1986, was an activist, journalist, resistance fighter and historian who devoted much work to the Jewish resistance. Most of his very abundant personal archives were kept in the Bibliothèque Marxiste, then deposited by the French Communist Party in 2005 in the Seine-Saint-Denis Departmental Archives, where they were inventoried (Fonds David Diamant 335J 1-191. 1919-1986). Another part (fonds David Diamant CMXXV 1-169) is in the BDIC (Bibliothèque de Documentation Internationale Contemporaine) and in the CDJC (Centre de Documentation Juive Contemporaine) at the Mémorial de la Shoah.
[5] Interview by Laurence Klejman with the historian and resistance fighter David Diamant, in September, 1983 when Mr. Diamant was preparing a new edition of his work, Combattants, Héros et Martyrs de la Résistance, which inventories the Jewish and Communist members of the Resistance. He had written up the entry on Genia in the first edition (1962) and recalled quite clearly his comrade in the struggle.
[6] Szmul CLEMAN. Born on April 18, 1912 at Piotrkow (Poland), stalag XVIII C. Sources Mémorial de la Shoah – Fonds UEVACJEA.
[7] Interview by Laurence Klejman with Ida Ravanel, née Klejman, a cousin of Simon’s. Ida took me to the gate of this building (about 30 meters from my apartment on the rue Vieille du Temple) and suggested I should ring… A young man who played football for the PSG (the Paris club) let us in. The flat, according to Ida, had changed a great deal. The Marais neighborhood has become completely gentrified and is nothing whatever like the quarter in which the Jewish immigrants lived.
[8] whereas her « husband » seems to have enlisted under the name of Cleman
[9] David Diamant, Combattants, Héros et Martyrs de la Résistance, 2e édition, 1983, p. 167, footnote.
[10] Ibid.
[11] Interview by Laurence Klejman with David Diamant, in 1983.
[12] This information needs to be checked with the archives of the Drancy camp.
[13] I admit that my presence of mind was faulty when I met David Diamant and failed to ask him enough precise questions (preposterous for a historian, moreover adept at oral history!). He wasn’t very talkative, either, but he was moved at meeting my father and me.
[14] David Diamant, Combattants, op. cit., 1983, p. 168. My father remembers these clandestine meetings.
[15] David Diamant, op. cit.
[16] Jean-Marc Dreyfus and Sarah Gensburger, Des camps dans Paris. Austerlitz, Lévitan, Bassano, juillet 1943-août 1944, Fayard, coll. « Pour une histoire du XXe siècle », Paris, 2003. I wanted to meet Mr. Dreyfus for further information, but he never answered my requests, even though I briefly outlined their object by telephone. I had, however, participated several years earlier in a round table that brought witnesses and researchers together. It turned out that my neighbor, a charming old gentleman, had known quite well Georges Geissmann, Genia’s friend in the Bassano camp who was later to bring my father up. He showed me some photos he had with him of the Geissmann brothers and my father in Marseille. Unfortunately, I noted down neither his name nor his address, as I left before the meeting was over. He had been a prisoner in the Lévitan and Austerlitz camps, of which he had kept some photos of him and Georges Geissmann. Notice to anyone who might recognize him in this feeble portrait. (Personal and professional history don’t always mesh well !)
[17] Georges and René had both been members of the group which in mid-September, 1943 tried to dig a tunnel to help the prisoners in the Drancy camp to escape. See the testimony of André Ullmo, « Tunnel de résistance », published in Libération, the 9th of June 2001. In the autumn of 1944 Georges Geissmann published in L’Homme libre, an organ of the Résistance, a piece that tells the story of life in the Paris camps.
[18] By a decree of the general director of the National Office of Former Soldiers and War Victims on November 20, 2010 :I. – The mention « Mort en déportation » (Dead during deportation) is stamped on the death certificate of: « Klejman (Golda), born on January 14, 1914 in Lodz (Poland), died on August 5, 1944 at Auschwitz (Poland). »JORF n°0297 du 23 décembre 2010 page 22575  texte n° 36 NOR: DEFM1030702A  ELI: Unavailable[:pl]

Biografia Goldy KLEJMAN z d. HERCBERG, zwanej Genią

14 stycznia 1914 (Łódź, Polska) – 5 sierpnia 1944 (Asuchwitz, Polska)
Aresztowana w lipcu 1943 r., internowana w Drancy, następnie w podobozie paryskim przy rue de Bassano (Paryż, 16) [1].
Moja babcia Gołda urodziła się w średniozamożnej mieszczańskiej rodzinie żydowskiej w Łodzi. Jej ojciec był muzykiem. Ona sama była dość utalentowaną pianistką. Niewiele wiadomo o tej rodzinie. Wiem, że Gołda miała braci i siostry. Jeden z braci [2] był właścicielem kina (Syrena, ul. Aleksandrowska), w którym Gołda czasem obsługiwała kasę, a być może kilku kin objazdowych.
Gołda nie lubiła swojego imienia i zamieniła się na imiona z jedną z sióstr [3]. Mówiono do niej zdrobnialne Genia – wedługi historyka i członka ruchu oporu Davida Diamanta [4], który znał ją osobiście i dobrze ją pamięta[5], tego imienia używała w czasie działalności w ruchu oporu w URJE – Union des Juifs pour la Resistance et l’Entraide (Żydowski Związek Oporu i Samopomocy) (albo w MOI, Main d’Oeuvre Immigree [Pracownicy Imigranci], Solidarité?).
Genia przyjechała do Paryża w maju 1937 r., żeby pracować na stoisku polskim w czasie wystawy światowej. Poznała tam Szmula Klejmana (zwanego Simonem), czarującego Żyda polskiego przybyłego kilka lat wcześniej z małego miasteczka Piotrkowa niedaleko Łodzi, pracującego w przemyśle odzieżowym. Zakochana, postanawia zostać we Francji. Oboje bez dokumentów, nie mogą zawrzeć małżeństwa w urzędzie, ale mimo że żadne z nich nie było praktykujące ani nawet wierzące, postanawiają wziąć ślub w synagodze. Stało się to na pewno w lutym lub marcu 1938 r. Niedługo później Genia zachodzi w ciążę i para postanawia przenieść się do Brukseli, gdzie mieszka rodzina Simona. Tam pod koniec grudnia 1939 r. na świat przychodzi ich syn Edward. Pozostają tam aż do inwazji na Belgię.
W pierwszych dniach wojny Simon, podobnie jak wielu innych Żydów, zaciąga się do Legii Cudzoziemskiej we Francji. W czasie rekrutacji podaje nazwisko Cleman. Po wyzwoleniu będzie prosił o zgodę na zachowanie tego nazwiska [6]. Genia zostaje w Paryżu z dzieckiem. Mieszka w różnych miejscach, między innymi przy rue Barbette [7]. Następnie wprowadza się pod nr 4, rue de Varize w dzielnicy 16, gdzie mieszka wuj Simona, Nathan Klejman. Żołnierz Szmul Cleman dostaje się do niewoli i zostaje wysłany do stalagu XVIII C „Markt Pongau” w Austrii. Dzięki znajomościom z działaczami politycznymi, którzy dostarczyli jej „papiery” (może oficjalny akt małżeństwa?) Genia/Gołda, pod nazwiskiem Klejman, zostaje uznana za żonę francuskiego więźnia, co zapewni jej ochronę aż do lipca 1944 r….[8].
Nie mam żadnej informacji na temat jej zaangażowania politycznego w Polsce, ale według Davida Diamanta Genia działała wspólnie z nim w Paryżu jeszcze przed wyjazdem do Belgii w 1938 r.: „Wciąż jeszcze widzę Genię, średniego wzrostu, żywą i energiczną, jak wykonuje wszystkie powierzone jej przeze mnie zadania, bo przed wojną działała w moim sektorze” [9]. Miała wspólnie z Davidem Diamantem działać w Secours populaire [Samopomocy ludowej] [10]. Jej mąż, mój dziadek, który przeżył wojnę i był socjalistą do końca życia, nie mówił mi nic na ten temat. Wnioskuję z tego, może niesłusznie, że w działalność polityczną Genia zaangażowała się dopiero we Francji, w kontakcie ze środowiskiem robotniczym, którego nie znała w Polsce. Podobno była komunistką, a po wybuchu wojny szybko zaczęła działać w ruchu oporu, w sieci „kaszkietów” [11], jednej z głównym grup w UJRE.
Jak większość osób z jej otoczenia, pracowała w przemyśle odzieżowym. Na pewno jeszcze przed wybuchem wojny, a w każdym razie w 1939 i 1940 r., bo, nadal według Davida Diamanta, „pracuje w dużej fabryce odzieżowej, gdzie udaje jej się zorganizować konspiracyjne związki zawodowe wśród francuskich robotnic. Rozdaje ulotki pracownicom swojej branży”. Jakość ubrań, które sama sobie uszyła, a które odziedziczyłam, wskazuje, że była bardzo dobrą krawcową.
Wiem od mojego ojca, który, kiedy to wszystko się działo, był bardzo mały, że została zatrzymana i wysłana do Drancy. Jedna z jej przyjaciółek opiekowała się jej synem, ale Genia poprosiła, żeby jej go przywieźć [12]. Jako żona francuskiego jeńca wojennego została wypuszczona. Wróciła z synem do mieszkania pod nr 4, rue de Varize w 16 dzielnicy Paryża, które dotąd zajmowała, i kontynuowała działalność konspiracyjną. Na czym ona dokładnie polegała? Wiem na ten temat tylko tyle, ile przekazał David Diamant [13]: „Rozdaje ulotki robotnikom, organizuje akcje i jest bardzo lubiana wśród pracownic w swojej branży. Równocześnie Genia działa w żydowskim związku zawodowym. W jej mieszkaniu odbywają się zebrania Międzyzwiązkowej Komisji Żydowskiej, na których opracowywany jest plan walki z okupantem. [14]”. Jedna z jej sąsiadek i przyjaciółek, Isabelle Izikowieff, która była dla mnie „babuszką”, opowiadała mi, że Genia kilkakrotnie uprzedziła ją o zblizających się obławach, chroniąc w tej sposób ją i jej dwoje dzieci. Genia miała więc dostęp do sprawdzonych informacji. Mimo to została ponownie aresztowana: „Genia zostaje zatrzymana w lipcu 1943 r. i osadzona w Drancy, gdzie jest jedną z organizatorek solidarnej pracy wewnątrz obozu. Ma łączność z zarządem kosnpiracyjnej organizacji z zewnątrz.[15]”. Tym razem jej status żony jeńca wojennego chroni ją tylko częściowo. Zostaje wysłana do jednego z podobozów Drancy w Paryżu, pod nr 2, rue de Bassano. To mały obóz (sześćdziesięciu więźniów), w którym od marca 1944 r. przebywają Żydzi francuscy, kobiety żydowskie będące żonami jeńców wojenych, „aryjscy współmałżonkowie” i „pół-Żydzi” [16]. Genia pracuje przy szyciu ubrań dla dużego domu mody. To, co wiem, pochodzi z opowieści jej dwóch przyjaciół, których poznała w tym małym obozie – Georges i Rene Geissmann, dwóch braci, przemysłowców i paryskich biznesmenów pochodzących z Belfrot i aresztowanych w czasie obławy w Marsylii [17]. Pracowała dla domu mody Paquin i wolno jej było wychodzić do miasta. Chcąc zapobiec jej ucieczce, władze obozu uprzedziły ją, że deportują jej dwóch przyjaciół, gdyby przyszło jej do głowy nie wrócić. Zawsze wracała.
Dzięki bliżej nieokreślonym działaniom (nie udało mi się poznać jej dwóch przyjaciół, zmarli przed moim narodzenie), Geni udało się sprowadzić syna do obozu. W pokojach pochodzącego z XVI w. pałacu skonfiskowanego rodzinie Cahen d’Anvers mieszkały także inne dzieci, jednak Edward nie został oficjalnie zarejestrowany. Jest „ukrywany” na terenie obozu, ale bawi się z innymi dziećmi, a nawet z młodym żołnierzem niemieckim i jego psem owczarkiem – też niemieckim. Kiedy do obozu przyjeżdżają „oficjele” z wizytą kontrolną, Edward ukrywa się pod stertą materiałów, pod stołami krawieckimi. Pewnego czerwcowego dnia Renee Primorin, żona Georgesa Geissmana, która nie była Żydówką, przychodzi z wizytą i wychodzi trzymając Edwarda za rękę. Do bramy towarzyszy jej ten sam żołnierz niemiecki, który życzy jej powodzenia. Genia powierzyła Renne swojego syna, z pewnością przekonana, że wkrótce do niego wróci. Jej przyjaciele zapewnili ją, że będą dbali o nią i jej dziecko po wyzwoleniu, którego wkrótce się spodziewali. Kilka tygodni później Niemcy wezwali niektórych więźniów z powrotem do Drancy. Jedna z kobiet na liście zaprotestowała – przybyła do obozu po Geni, to niesprawidliwe, żeby wyjeżdżała przed nią. Wyjechały obie. Bracia Geissmann znali zapewne imię tej kobiety, jednak nie dotarło ono do mnie. Transport nr 77 wyruszył z Drancy 31 lipca 1944 r. Znajdowało się w nim 1321 osób, w tym ponad 300 dzieci i jeden noworodek [18]. Ośmielam się mieć nadzieję, że pocieszeniem dla Geni była świadomość, że jej syn „Eddy” nie znajdował sięw tej grupie. Wszystkie dzieci oficjalnie zarejestrowane w obozie przy rue de Bassano został deportowane. Eddy uciekł na południe ze swoją nową „mamą”, widział lądowanie aliantów na wybrzeżu 15 sierpnia, lotników, którymi zajmowała się Renee, chłopów, którzy odmawiali schronienia Renee, jego starej mamie i jej dwóm synom, bo obawiali się powrotu Niemców i represji. Doświadczył radości Wyzwolenia. Dwóch braci Geissman zostało sprowadzonych do obozu w Drancy 5 sierpnia, razem z pozostałymi więźniami z rue de Bassano. Alois Brunner nie zdążył wysłać ich ostatnim transportem do Polski. Zostali wyzwoleni w Drancy 18 sierpnia. Wrócili do Marsylii, gdzie mieszkali jeszcze przed wojną.
Dlaczego Genia, trzydziestoletnia kobieta, ciesząca się dobrym zdrowiem, zdolna do pracy, nie została skierowana do pracy, a do komory gazowej? Z dokumentów wynika, że została zagazowana od razu po przyjeździe. W obliczu zbliżającej się klęski naziści chcieli zlikwidować jak najwięcej deportowanych. Przez długi czas mój ojciec chciał wierzyć, że transport nie dotarł do miejsca przeznaczenia, że został zbombardowany przez alianckie samoloty. Jego ojciec, Simon, po powrocie z obozu jenieckiego w Niemczech całymi tygodniami chodził codziennie do hotelu Lutetia czytać ogłoszenia, szukać świadków. Pojechał do Polski, szukał w obozach przejściowych; nie dowiedział się niczego o Geni, ale odnalazł najmłodszego z braci Klejmanów, który ocalał z Auschwitz. Powrót do Paryża zabrał im kilka miesięcy. Byli jedynymi ocalałymi z rodziny Simona. Edward, mój ojciec, zamieszkał z rodziną Geissmann składającą się z Georgesa, jego żony Renee i ich synów, Francois i Maurice’a. Nie zachował żadnego wspomnienia o Simonie, który wyruszył na wojnę w 1939 r., ale widywał go regularnie, kiedy rodzina Geissmannów zamieszkała w Boulogne. Simon nigdy nie ożenił się ponownie. Mówił, że czeka na powrót swojej żony. Ofiarował mi kilka ubrań i przedmiotów, które – nie wiem, w jaki sposób – udało mu się odzyskać. Mieszkanie Geni zostało okradzione, później zamieszkała w nim inna rodzina. On zamieszkał w tym samym budynku, w małym pokoiku, gdzie wciąż czekał. W końcu przeprowadził się do mieszkania w sąsiedztwie swojego brata, w Levallois-Perret. Mieszkali obok siebie do śmierci Simona. To w tym małym mieszkanku napisałam swój doktorat z historii.
David Diamant, Combattants, héros et martyrs de la Résistance : biographies, dernières lettres, témoignages et documents, Messidor, 22 mars 1984, FeniXX réédition numérique (Pneumathèque) (1 janvier 1984).
Une première édition de ce livre est parue en 1962.
[1] Niniejsza biografia to rezultat zbierania informacji na podstawie rozproszonych dokumentów, (skąpych) wspomnień rodzinnych. Prowadzone są inne badania, mające uzupelnić brakujące informacje, jeśli archiwa na to pozwolą.
[2] Jeden z braci, Solomon (Sholem) Hercberg, odegrał bardzo niechlubną rolę w getcie łódzkim, o czym na szczęście (!) Genia nie mogła się dowiedzieć. Był komendantem więzienia i oskarżono go o wzbogacenie się przy tej okazji. On, jego żona i ich dwójka dzieci oraz jego teściowa zostali deportowani.
[3] Rozmowa przeprowadzona w 1985 r. przez Laurence Klejman z Idą Ravanel z d. Klejman, kuzynką Simona, córką Nathana.
[4] David Diamant, ur. jako David Erlich w Hrubieszowie 18 marca 1904 r., zm. we Francji w 1986 r., był działaczem politycznym, dziennikarzem, członkiem ruchu oporu i historykiem, który liczne prace poświęcił żydowskiemu ruchowi oporu. Większość jego archiwów osobistych została przekazana Bibliotece marksistowskiej, a następnie w 2005 r. zdeponowana przez Komunistyczną Partię Francji w Archiwach departamentalnych Seine Saint-Denis, gdzie zostały opracowane (Fonds David Diamant 335J-1-191. 1919-1986). Część z nich znajduje się w BDIC [bibliothèque de documentation internationale contemporaine ] (fonds David Diamant CMXXV 1-169) i w Memorial de la Shoah, w CDJC.
[5] Rozmowa przeprowadzona przez Laurence Klejman z historykiem i członkiem ruchu oporu Davidem Diamantem we wrześniu 1983 r., kiedy Diamant przygotowywał nowe wydanie książki Combattants, Héros et Martyrs de la Résistance, która wymienia członków ruchu oporu pochodzenia żydowskiego i będących działaczami komunistycznymi. To on przygotował biogram Geni w pierwszym wydaniu tej książki (1962) i bardzo dobrze pamiętał swoją towarzyszkę walki.
[6] Szmlu CLEMAN, ur. 18.05.1912 w Piotrkowie, stalag XVIII C. Źródło: Memorial de la Shoah – Fonds UEVACJEA.
[7] Rozmowa przeprowadzona przez Laurence Klejman z Idą Ravanel, z d. Klejman, kuzynką Simona. Ida zaprowadziła mnie bramy tego domu (30 metrów od mojego mieszkania, rue Vieille du Temple) i zaproponowała, żebym zadzwoniła. Młody człowiek, piłkarz PSG, wpuścił nas do środka. Według Idy mieszkanie bardzo się zmieniło. Dzielnica Marais uległa gentryfikacji i nie ma nic wspólnego z tą, w której mieszkali imigranci żydowscy.
[8] Podczas gdy jej „mąż” zaciągnął się do wojska pod nazwiskiem Cleman.
[9] David Diamant, Combattants, Héros et Martyrs de la Résistance, 2e édition, 1983, p. 167, przypis.
[10] Ibid.
[11] Rozmowa Laurence Klejman z Davidem Diamantem, 1983 r.
[12] Informacje powinny zostać skonforntowane z archiwum obozu w Drancy.
[13] Przyznaję, że zabrakło mi przytomności umysłu, kiedy spotkałam Davida Diamanta, i nie zadałam mu wystarczająco szczegółowych pytań (szczyt wszystkiego w przypadku historyczki, w dodatku zajmującej się historią mówioną!). On także nie był zbyt wylewny, ale bardzo poruszony spotkaniem z moim ojcem i ze mną.
[14] David Diamant, Combattants, op. cit., 1983, p. 168. Mój ojciec pamięta te konspiracyjne spotkania.
[15] David Diamant, op. cit.
[16] Jean-Marc Dreyfus i Sarah Gensburger, Des camps dans Paris. Austerlitz, Lévitan, Bassano, juillet 1943-aout 1944, Fayard, coll. « Pour une histoire du XXe siecle », Paris, 2003. Chciałam spotkać się z Jean-Markiem Dreyfusem, żeby uzyskać więcej informacji, ale nigdy nie odpowiedział na moje pytania, mimo że wyjaśniłam mu przedmiot moich poszukiwań przez telefon. Brałam jednak udział kilka lat wcześniej w spotkaniu gromadzącym świadków i badaczy. Okazało się, że mój sąsiad, uroczy starszy pan, dobrze znał Georgesa Geissmana, przyjaciela Geni z obozu przy rue de Bassano i który później wychowywał mojego ojca. Miał przy sobie zdjęcia, które mi pokazał. Widnieli na nim obaj bracia Geissmann i mój ojciec, w Marsylii. Niestety nie zapisałam jego nazwiska i adresu, ponieważ musiałam wyjść przed końcem spotkania. Był więźniem w obozie Levitan i Austerlitz, miał stamtąd zdjęcia, na których widniał razem z Georgesem Geissmannem. Może ktoś rozpozna go w tej niedokładnej opowieści (historię osobistą i zawodową nie zawsze da się pogodzić!).
[17] Georges i Rene znajdowali się w grupie osób, które w połowie września 1943 r. próbowały wykopać tunel, żeby umożliwić więźniom Drancy ucieczkę. Więcej w relacji André Ullmo, « Tunnel de résistance », opublikowanej w Libération, 9 czerwca 2001. Georges Geissmann opublikował jesienią 1944, w organie ruchu oporu, L’Homme libre, artykuł, w którym opowiedział o życiu w obozach paryskich.
[18] Decyzją dyrektora generalnego Office national des anciens combattants et victimes de guerre (Urzędu ds kombatantów i ofiar wojny) z 20 listopada 2010 :I. – Wzmianka « Zmarła w obozie » znajduje się w aktach i dezycji o uznaniu za zmarłą : « Klejman (Golda), urodzona 14 stycznia 1914 w Lodzi (Polska), zmarła 5 sierpnia 1944 w Auschwitz (Polska). »Dziennik Urzędowy n°0297 z 23 grudnia 2010 strona 22575  tekst nr 36 NOR: DEFM1030702A  ELI: Non disponible.


Laurence KLEJMAN, petite-fille de Golda HERCBERG, épouse KLEJMAN.

Reproduction of text and images

Any reproduction of a biography, even in part, must be approved in advance and in writing by the Convoy 77 association. To request permission, please fill in the form here: Form
If you wish to use any image from the French Defense Historical Service (SHD), please go to their online request page “Request a duplication”.

  1. wladimi zandt 4 years ago

    je suis content, très content, de rencontrer cet enfer juif…
    Ma famille juive polonaise vivait à Varsovie et Perla Zandt, ma Maman a étudié à LODZ…
    Cette famille a-t-elle des survivants ?
    Je serais heureux de pouvoir rencontrer leurs descendants (peu importe le pays, je communique avec Skype)
    j’ai retrouvé ma famille aux USA.

  2. Germaine et Pierre Lyszyk 4 years ago

    Nous serions intéressés d’entrer en contact avec Laurence Klejman au sujet des Sonnenblick qui probablement ont des liens avec notre famille. Merci

  3. Author
    Serge Jacubert 4 years ago

    Mr et Mme Lyszyk,
    votre demande a été transmise à Laurence, qui a dû vous répondre. Bien cordialement.
    Serge JACUBERT

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


hébergement Umazuma - OVH

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?